• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple patent could lead to carbon fiber MacBook housings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Eww plastic for macbooks? I much prefer metal. It is nicer feeling and seems to be perfectly strong. I would be very disappointed if they decided to forgo the metal and go with plastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Eww plastic for macbooks? I much prefer metal. It is nicer feeling and seems to be perfectly strong. I would be very disappointed if they decided to forgo the metal and go with plastic.

Carbon fiber is not plastic. It's part resin(or carbon depending on the application), and part strands of thin carbon. Put it together, and you have a material that is worth more than any production metal used in computers by Apple. It provides better cooling feel to the user, MUCH stronger, can be died many colors, and weighs a heck of a lot less! If you use carbon strands, with a carbon coating, you'll most likely have a computer that shows almost no signs oh heating.

So, "Eww?" I think not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So it's really the molding process which is to be patented, not the usage of carbon fiber for a notebook which is already seen in the "Sony VAIO Z thin and light series".

Those Sony's are usually of very good quality, so a step in that direction would be okay in my book.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So it's really the molding process which is to be patented, not the usage of carbon fiber for a notebook

Doug

That's what it seems like. I'm a huge fan of CF in areas where it can upgrade functionality. I'm not a fan of using it to show off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've fabricated automotive parts using CF. It can be a good idea, and it can be a bad idea depending upon application. I hope they do it right if they do it. Obviously lightweight, but while it doesn't dent - it cracks, splits, can burn and is susceptible to UV damage and fading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ohhhhhh ill be in love, having a Audi R8 Macbook Pro !!!!!! Bring it on :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Yeah but the look and feel of carbon fiber is plastic. That's why I said eww plastic. It may be cool and a new trend but it certainly isn't cool in my book. Not for the macbook line. I would rather tote around my 4.5 pound 13" mbp in metal versus a lighter plasticy mbp. I love the look and feel of the aluminum much better than carbon fiber. I doubt carbon fiber would be light enough to make it worth my while. Say if it dropped 2 pounds off of the mbp I would be okay with that but if it's less than 2 pounds, then no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There are many reasons to go with carbon fiber, not just weight savings, when talking about small consumer products, especially when the original is made from solid aluminum. I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost Apple more to mill a MBP out of solid aluminum than it might with CF. Also, I GREATLY doubt Apple would do a standard CF layout with resin, it will probably be mixed with carbon to give a uniform, solid look. I don't think Apple cares for the CF weaving look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I'd love to see how Apple uses CF for cases. Mmmm.... carbon fiber....

Another benefit in addition to weight savings is no reduction in wireless antenna performance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.