60 Gb MBR on 2Tb hard drive by mistake

Reaction score
Hello, I have a serious issue.
Stupidly, I accidentally partitioned a drive that I really shouldn't have partitioned. It is a WD 2Tb drive with all of my photos on. I somehow created a 60Gb Master Boot Record. Now, this is the only information that my iMac sees on the disk. Is there a way of recovering the data on the disk or removing / undoing the partition so that the rest of the data is visible?

Thanks in advance...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, do not do anything to the drive that may cause the data on it (your photos) to be overwritten.

Next, download data recovery software and use it to see if you can recover the photos from the drive. A partitioned drive still retains the data, however, the data is "lost" with the new partitioning. But recovery is possible with good software.

I recommend Data Rescue 3 which can be downloaded from here. You might want to download the trial version first since the software is rather expensive at $99.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you chscag. I have followed your advice. I am currently running a deep scan and it is displaying some results for items that are not on the 60Gb partition. Unfortunately due to it being a 2Tb drive it is saying that I have 45hrs left to wait. I really hope this is successful. Thank you for your quick reply. There are so many on the market, it is hard to know which to use.

Regards

Jp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.