Desktop & Screen Saver Preferences Hangs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz i5 16GB
I followed a tip I saw on a YouTube where someone just dragged images into the Library > Desktop Pictures folder on the hard drive to add them to the preferences list of photos. In moving photos back and forth, the preferences for desktop & screen saver options just hangs and I have to force it to quit.

I have taken all the photos out of that folder and it should be the way it was before I moved stuff, but it still hangs. I've rebooted the computer a couple of times.

Any way to get it to reset itself again?

I am running a Macbook Pro 13" with Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try repairing permissions with Onyx. In fact, just run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have to delete a preference file. But we'll address that later if need be.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz i5 16GB
Try repairing permissions with Onyx. In fact, just run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have to delete a preference file. But we'll address that later if need be.

Thanks for your help. I actually found a solution at the MacRumors forum. I'm pasting the instructions here. It worked for me.

This is how to fix it - and it worked for me along with others:

1) Apple have hidden the Library folder by default in Lion. To permaently unhide it, open the Terminal utility and run the following command:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

After running this command the Library should become immediately available, without the need to reboot the system or log out and log back in.

2) Open Finder and drill down to MacPro HD/Users/Your Username/Library/Preferences and then send the following file to the trash: com.apple.desktop.plist

3) Reboot your mac (this may not be needed but I prefered it this way) after reboot should work for you :)

The com.apple.desktop.plist gets recreated in Finder so if you are satisfied it has work, you can now delete this file from the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.