No disk options when installing OS X

OP
Vilarix
Reaction score
I'll wait a few days and try to find a solution and I'll buy a drive if I can't find one.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok.... I'm looking at that screen shot and I think I see what may be the problem. I see the message saying that you have to apply the existing changes before making more changes. Perhaps that's why you can't re-size the volume. Also... I think I see another problem. I couldn't figure out why Macintosh HD says it is a "Logical Volume Group". I take it you are using FileVault? I've not used that myself, but I just did a little reading and that makes sense now. Are you able to boot off your hard drive to turn it off? If so, do that. If not, we can work around it but I need to read up more on this. Here's a couple articles you may want to read over.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790
Decrypt File Vault 2 before upgrading to ML? - MacRumors Forums

OP
Vilarix
Reaction score
Every time I click on Apply, I have a confirmation window and when I click yes nothing happens, and when I try to leave it asks me if I want to apply the settings again...

And you are right, I had File Vault! But I guess it's too late now to decrypt it? From what I have read in your articles I had to disable it before... Does that mean we can't even format it entirely without decryption?

I don't know about the hard drive, how can I boot it off?

Thank you for your help and patience!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you are right, I had File Vault! But I guess it's too late now to decrypt it? From what I have read in your articles I had to disable it before... Does that mean we can't even format it entirely without decryption?

Yes, we can get around this but I need to look into that further.

I don't know about the hard drive, how can I boot it off?

Restart your computer and hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. You will get a list of bootable devices. Select the internal drive and continue from there. In the future, do this same process when ready to install off the USB installer you made.

If you can't boot off it, then I think that "disk3" is actually your hard drive and is what you'd have to re-partition and format. I'm going to see if someone who is more familiar with FileVault can pop in here and make sure you get this done right though.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have used FileVault in the past (it has been awhile) but I don't think it is an obstacle, as reformatting will wipe it out.

I'm wondering if the problem isn't stemming from your removal of your Bootcamp partition without using Bootcamp to do it. Not a Windows user, so I may be far wrong, but I seem to remember seeing some articles about serious trouble arising from that. Might be worth using Bootcamp to reestablish a single partition (I'll try to find the article I read and post a link, as I may be foggy on the details) and then use Disk Utility to reformat the drive.

EDIT: This may be obvious and unneccessary but on the off chance it will help, am posting the link
http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/26/how-to-delete-a-boot-camp-partition/

EDIT2: I may have misread the entire thread string (I assumed you hadn't used Bootcamp for removing the partition, now in rereading it, I'm not sure that was an accurate assumption).

EDIT3: FWIW I never run FileVault on my internal Hard Drive anymore, but have run File Vault and am currently running File Vault2 on external Hard Drives and have never had any difficulty in doing a reformat or had any requirement to decrypt first. And that was on Lion and now on Mountain Lion.

OP
Vilarix
Reaction score
I can boot on the internal hard drive! It loads the login screen but when I am logged in the Apple and the loading wheel appears and after a few minutes I have this:

http://i.imgur.com/TMdQm.jpg

:\

So my only ways are the Mountain Lion USB with which I can access Disk Utility, and the original installation DVD...
Which means, Razormac, that I can't even run the Bootcamp application to remove the partition nor I can disable FileVault...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... that means you can't boot off the drive. So boot off the Mountain Lion USB installer and run Disk Utility. Can you show me a screen shot with Disk3 selected?

OP
Vilarix
Reaction score
I did a mistake, I needed my USB so I formatted it to transfer files. Now I still have Mountain Lion on my PC but I can't make the USB bootable like before because it's not in a Mac format... I'll try to access Disk Utility with the original installation DVD (which was the Disk3 on the screenshot)

I won't reply as often since I am moving but if you're still here well, thank you for your help!

:Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.