Thunderbolt?

Reaction score
Did Apple miss the boat here with Thunderbolt? I have a new iMac 27 with two Thunderbolt connections on the rear but no USB 3.

There is currently nothing useful but very expensive hard drives that support TB as far as I can tell. You cannot even buy a TB card reader, something it seems to be tailored for with the ability to move data quickly. Seems like a huge waste. I really would have liked to see USB 3 supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
With USB 3 on the new MacBook Pro's and Air's surely the next round of desktops will include this functionality. The TB devices are out there, and pretty expensive in most cases but you can get a 500gb TB drive for under $200.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
TB is starting to be adopted by other manufacturers. Once it is, the prices will drop and the TB devices will increase. This is pretty much how it works. USB3 is extremely slow in comparison ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Take a look at the new Ultra Books some have TB.

OP
BCRose
Reaction score
TB is starting to be adopted by other manufacturers. Once it is, the prices will drop and the TB devices will increase. This is pretty much how it works. USB3 is extremely slow in comparison ;)

Not faster if the devices are not available :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, there are about 50 times more than there were when I got my MBP in 2011 ;)

It'll continue to increase, newer Macs also support USB3. The iMac simply hasn't been updated to that standard yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.