Available Space Shown on Disk Utility is Not Accurate

Reaction score
After deleting backup files from my MobileSync folder in /users/(myname)/library/MobileSync, disk utility won't refresh my available space. Boot Camp says I need 10gb of free space to install windows and apparently 23gb is not enough so I had to delete my MobileSync backups as well. The green box on the screen shot is what disk utility should read as well. I have been trouble shooting this problem for a while and would really appreciate some help. Having a solid state hardrive is great for speed, but I am definitely running into some space problems.

Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 6.17.53 PM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have you emptied the trash?

OP
D
Reaction score
Have you emptied the trash?
Yes I have rebooted and empty the trash. Also I have verified the disk permissions, the disk and repaired the permissions and the disk. Any other suggestions? I would like to avoid formatting the harddrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You see that section called 'backups' ? Notice that the amount there is the discrepancy? This is because the backups WILL be overwritten should there be any need to for non-backup data to be written to those blocks. This is why Finder shows it as space available, because it is.

OP
D
Reaction score
Boot Camp Error Message

You see that section called 'backups' ? Notice that the amount there is the discrepancy? This is because the backups WILL be overwritten should there be any need to for non-backup data to be written to those blocks. This is why Finder shows it as space available, because it is.

Thank you Mike this answers my question perfectly. Now the whole reason I was deleting files was to make room for a windows partition. Boot Camp is giving me this error message now. Do I have to reformat? I only have one partition as it is now, why is this error message coming up?

Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 9.32.42 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.