running Bootcamp and Windows 7 on MacBook Air 13

Reaction score
I have the latest versions of everything continuously updating etc... and have installed Windows 7 64 bit on a BootCamp partition 64GB on my MacBook Air 13 since last Spring without any problems whatsoever, very smooth all the way... until this last week when the screen goes black after a few seconds to several minutes without warning and then the system does not respond to a cold reboot or anything and after a few minutes it reboots all by itself.

If anyone is familiar with this problem which may have something to do with graphics drivers provided by Apple that are incompatible with the latest Windows 7 updates, or whatever, please help me. I did Windows restore the system to a month ago, when everything worked fine, but the problem persists. The amount of time and the programs I might be running or windows that are active are all different each time this happens.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The graphics drivers supplied by Apple should not be effected by Windows 7 updates. The hardware (graphics processor) in your MBA has not changed. Open up the hardware tree from Control Panel, System, Hardware, in Windows 7 and click on the graphics adapter that's listed. Check to see if everything is working normally. A system restore in Windows does nothing to help when hardware is the problem.

Your MBA uses the Intel HD 3000 GPU which borrows video memory from system memory. When system memory is 4 GB, the HD 3000 will borrow up to 256 MB, however, when system memory is 8 GB, it will borrow up to 512 MB. It's possible you're running out of video memory and the screen goes black until a reboot takes place. You could also have some bad system memory that's showing up in Windows. Since you have a MBA, what memory you have is all you're ever going to have.

How about some specs on your MBA? How much installed memory does it have? Assuming it's a 2011 model?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.