Airport Express Advice please?

Reaction score
Hello
I have recently bought a 2 year old imac and I am thrilled with it.
I have wanted one for years and this one came along so I bought it!
So far so good, until I fancied the idea of wireless music and purchased an airport express.
I am using a Netgear wireless router and wanted to add the AE as a client to stream my music. The AE flatly refused to mate up with the Netgear.
So having read endless forums suggesting solutions. I then lost my wireless altogether!
Eventually finding that I had new netgear passwords in my keychain Deleting them restored my Netgear wireless. Phew half a day gone but at least I have the internet back!
So my questions are is there a simple way to get a netgear router working with an AE?
Or should I buy another AE and use it as my router?
I was very disapointed as apple simplicity seemed to go out the window. Or is it me!
My apologies if this topic is not in the right forum.
Any help gratefully received I just want my music!
Best wishes John
Yorkshire dales England.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can replace your netgear with the airport express and use that as your wireles router, however you are trying to extend your wireless network with the AE and the AE can only extend a network created by another apple wireless device. I have a airport extreme as my router and an airport express used to extend my wireless networks..

With that combination, it just worked the first time within a minute or two. So, it's you...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Get a second AE or Extreme depending on your needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.