• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How much ram, really?

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, get as much as you can afford.....

I just got a new Mac Pro 6-core, which only has 4 ram slots. (why 4 is a mystery, since triple-memory works best with three sticks, but I digress...)

The point is, I want to upgrade from the current 6 GB, but I can't just get 12 GB and then add more later if needed. (Thanks, Apple.)

I am VERY new to video editing, so I'm hoping for a "common sense" recommendation from you folks on how much to get. Basically, 12 Gb, 24 Gb, or 48GB. Money is very tight right now, or I would just get the 48. I know that more ram means better utilization of open CL, but I have no real-world benchmarks.

Mac 6-core 3.33 Ghz.
Radeon HD 5770 card.
Only 4 (3, really) ram slots to work with.
Main editing drive will probably be a PCIe SSD, but for now a WD 10K velociraptor.

Using FCP-X.

I will mainly be editing HD video from Consumer Canon camcorders. AVCHD, unless I pre-convert. (I am new to this, so don't know all the terms yet.) - but then the pre-conversion would also be heavy rendering, yes? so...
I hope to be doing what I assume is heavy rendering: "zooming in" for multiple short sections, creating a continuous fake "vignetting" look, etc.

I'd also be starting with 4 hr long raw files, though I suppose I could break them up before rendering into roughly 4 minute sections.
-----------------

So, how much ram would you recommend? Spending a lot for a small tme savings is not worth it, but a huge time savings would be.

- THANKS.

OP
C
Reaction score
Bump.

Anyone? I need to place an order asap. I REALLY need some advice here.

(This forum doesn't seem to have much traffic.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Basically, 12 Gb, 24 Gb, or 48GB. Money is very tight right now, or I would just get the 48.

12gig is going to cost you around $100 bucks, 24gig $250, and 48gig is going to cost $667.99. If money is "very tight"…then (to me)…the 12gig upgrade is the only one that would seem appropriate for a "very tight" budget.

But then again…"very tight" is relative.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
I would say that if you are considering the 48GB, then opt for 24GB with a "tight" budget. My MBP can run FCP and I am using 8GB, but of course it is not the best, but I am also working on an internal drive...

So with your external SSD/10K HDD, 6 cores, 24GB ram, and a back up solution you should have a really fast workflow.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, Micro.

I just read a DigiLloyd article where he considers 24 GB the minimum for both FCP and (surprisingly) Photoshop. - though I imagine the latter is only when doing bulk conversion of a lot of files at once.

Well, time to bite the bullet, I guess. 24 GB it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.