Apps to turn on built-in isight camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.5.4
I have an iMAC OSX 10.6.8, which has a built-in camera.

I want to know how to turn the camera ON . Do I have to open one of the applications that uses a camera turned on?
Which apps use the cam? iChat? what others?

Any help would be appreciated. Please copy any reply to

Many thanks. George Sweeney:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved here as it does not belong in the "Switcher" forum. And your email address was removed to prevent Spam going there. Also, we do not provide email support. Post to the forum, read your reply on the forum. If you wish to be notified when replies are posted, subscribe to the thread.

You can use the "Photo Booth.app" to turn on your iCam and for testing. There is also the "FaceTime.app" which will turn on the camera. Note that to use FaceTime, the other party must also own a Mac with FaceTime installed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.5.4
Thanks for the info. But, both cost too much, and I prefer to find a cost -free approach.
I seem to able to turn the camera on by opening SKYPE. Are there other regular apps like SKYPE that will also open?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Photo booth costs? It's part of OSX and free for using the camera to take your picture. Facetime is free also.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Photo Booth costs you nothing - it's included with OS X (FaceTime isn't but since you appear to be using Leopard, you can't get it anyway).

We can't give you a full list because we couldn't possibly know every single application that does this. What are you trying to figure out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.