Problem with Mountain Lion. My computer keeps shutting down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I have MacMini 3,1 2Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB Ram. I recently upgraded it from 10.7 to 10.8 and in the midst of an update the computer just shut down without a warning. It gave an error message when it booted up again. It started doing this every 20 minutes or so.
Is there some kind of hardware clash with the OS?

I really like Mountain Lion and hope to be able to keep this OS on my mac...

P.S. I have two monitors connected to it; if that helps narrow the issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about copying and posting the error message here so we can try to see what's causing it to shut down. It sounds like you're experiencing kernel panics which are usually related to hardware problems but can also be caused by software. The first thing you might want to do is only keep one monitor attached to see if that makes a difference.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
It's that error that says Your Computer shutdown unexpectedly, etc, etc, etc and it comes on the bootup screen.

The thing that confuses me is that while it was running Lion (10.7), I didn't have a single problem. It was working perfectly.

I'm not sure if its the RAM.. You see according to Apple, my Mac is supposed to run 1066Mhz Ram and I'm currently using 1333. It works perfectly with 10.7 Lion and I don't think that should be an issue. But just thought I'll mention it for more info.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for the additional info. Macs are extremely fussy about using the correct memory modules. That means type and speed. I suggest going back to using the correct modules at the designed speed of the memory bus and see if that resolves the problem. There is absolutely no advantage to using faster memory in a slower bus anyway, and it can cause problems.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks for the additional info. Macs are extremely fussy about using the correct memory modules. That means type and speed. I suggest going back to using the correct modules at the designed speed of the memory bus and see if that resolves the problem. There is absolutely no advantage to using faster memory in a slower bus anyway, and it can cause problems.
Thank you for the information. I guess using faster memory does cause bottlenecks in performance if you look at it closely. I've ordered these... 8GB DDR3 1066 MHz Memory APPLE MAC BOOK MACBOOK PRO | eBay; According to OWC my Mac Mini supports the memory and it is the correct bus speed.
Till it arrives, I've just re-installed Lion again and so far the Mac is working perfectly. No issues or problems to report.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It works... It works... Hahahaahhahahaahaa

Got the ram, installed it and installed a fresh copy of mountain lion... It works and it works well.. very welll :Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.