using multiple headsets/mics with Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I have a question that may have a very simple answer but I haven't been able to solve the issue yet..if there is a solution.

I do streaming of webcasts through a Macbook Pro.

I have no problems using a single headset....be it with a usb or the 1/8inch jack input to my Mac. I do not use/have a mixer.

My problem is that we would like to be able to use two headsets,,,,,so that two people could talk at the same time.

I haven't been able to come up with a way for my Mac to recognize both headsets/mics at the same time.

I did try using a "y" splitter for the 1/8 inch inputs and connecting the pink jack of each headset into each of the "y" connections but the Mac doesn't seem to recognize the input.

I have also tried using a usb hub and connecting each headset to the hub.....the Mac recognizes each headset individually...meaning I have to go into the Mac settings and select which headset I want to use.....which means both can't be used simultaneously.

Am I missing something? Anyone else have this issue or have suggestions? Is using a mixer a solution with usb or 1/8 jack inputs?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can't test this at the moment but I wonder if Audio Hijack Pro could be used sort of as a virtual mixer to do what you want. There is a free demo available so it wouldn't cost anything to try.

Reaction score
You possibly could use a little breakout box with two or three 1/8 in. inputs and one 1/8in output from radio shack

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.