Defrag on a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no need to as it uses a journaled file system, welcome to the 21st century ;)

OP
J

jn4jenny

digitALLSTARS said:
so do you have to do any sort of clean up ever?

Theoretically, no, especially if you leave your computer on for 24 hours at least once a month (so that it can run its automatic scripts at the designated time.) But if you've got Windows Paranoia Fever (which you do--don't feel bad, most newbies do), you can download Onyx for free. It will repair your disk permissions and remove cache files and other minor things of that nature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I prefer Yasu over Onyx. It's just easier to use. Start it up, hit go, and it does everything.

http://www.jimmitchelldesigns.com/yasu.html

A defrag is not necessary. And, every time you install a program, the computer performs a small sort of "cleanup" process.

OP
S

sugoruyo

Hehe, after seeing that on the Mac for the first time, and after 12 years of windoze usage I got stunned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
wow learn something new every day...defrag never came to mind. Thanks for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.