Smart Playlist Help? 1 artist, certain albums, does not include other artists

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
I'm trying to put together smart playlists that I'm goign to auto sync to my iPhone. I'm trying to make a smart playlist with all the Nas albums I want but one of the albums (The Lost Tapes) is also the name of an album that Young Jeezy has so it's including both albums in the smart playlist even though I only want Nas.

How exactly can I get around this? I'm trying to keep the playlist to only those select Nas albums that I want on my iphone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Since your initial playlist almost works here's a quick and dirty method that should fix the problem.Either of the following should work though the first is probably easier.

1. Add a second criteria to those of your Smart Playlist. "Artist does not include Young Jeezy" should do the trick. Set things so that "All" of the criteria have to be met.

2. The other option which is sometimes more reliable would be to find the tracks not to include and add "Not this album " to the comments. Add the rule "Comments do not include Not this album"

In both cases make sure that the rule is set to match all of the rules. If you have never done this have a look at ATPM 13.11 - Creating iTunes Content Presets

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Hi, thanks for the response. If igured out another way to do it that also works.

You have to make the playlist criteria match all.

Then make the first set Artist "IS" Nas (or whatever artist you choose).

Then make a 2nd nested rule that matches any and set it to Album "IS" (insert names of Nas albums you want to add).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did not think of that exactly. It should work. If I understand the second rule correctly the only problem will be that it would not auto update if you add another album by the same artist.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not think of that exactly. It should work. If I understand the second rule correctly the only problem will be that it would not auto update if you add another album by the same artist.

Yeah exactly. I want to limit the albums that I sync to my iphone to just the select few. Anytime I add a new album I'll edit the smart playlist to include said album.

Both ideas worked though so I appreciate the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.