Network attached storage questions

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I have a NAS that offers multiple protocols. CIFS for PC (also read by OS X) and AFP. Under the AFP selection there are options for AppleTalk and Bonjour.

1) Right now I have AFP checked with both AppleTalk and Bonjour un-selected. It appears to be working OK but wonder if I I should have one or the other selected (new Apple guy so AppleTalk and Bonjour are foreign to me)...am I missing anything by not using either of them?

2) I currently have both CIFS and AFP selected...I need CIFS for my PC, AFP to be able to use my NAS as a Time Machine. However, both show up in Finder as separate drives. Not a big deal for most applications but Adobe Photoshop Lightroom treats them as distinct drives and it's wreaking havoc with my photo management. Is there a way to make the CIFS version not seen by OS X?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.