How to revert "Erase Free Space"

Reaction score
I've read in a blog how you can protect the erased files in your computer from being reopened by erasing the free space and out of curiosity decided to try it. Little did I knew that I can't reverse this easily. Now, my 1TB hard drive is full to the top and I can't save anything else. I've try to look around for an useful advice but nothing work so far.
Can anyone help me please? :'(

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've read in a blog how you can protect the erased files in your computer from being reopened by erasing the free space and out of curiosity decided to try it. Little did I knew that I can't reverse this easily. Now, my 1TB hard drive is full to the top and I can't save anything else. I've try to look around for an useful advice but nothing work so far.
Can anyone help me please? :'(

May be an easier way to do this, but if you have another drive you can transfer your files to, all you have to do is reformat the 1TB drive. Just realize that when you do that all the files on the drive will go, so back them up first.

OP
V
Reaction score
I do have a back up hard drive, but I don't know how to reformat the main one and honestly I'm a bit scared to do it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of OS X are you using? We can show you to do the format but first we need to know the version of OS X you're running.

OP
V
Reaction score
I just did a check up how many GB are saved on my back up hard drive. It's about 207GB. And my main HD shows over 900GB. I guess I manage to screw up about 700GB of free space. Somebody advice to check for large files, but I can not find any. They must be hidden in some of the locked folders where I have no access.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're still using Leopard, you'll have to boot with your original Leopard install DVD and run Disk Utility from the DVD. From there you can erase and format the hard drive. Be sure to format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled. Partitioning should default to GUID but make sure it says that before you proceed.

Remember to backup all your data first off the internal hard drive before formatting.

OP
V
Reaction score
My last back up is from today, so I guess that will do.
Should I unplug my back up hard drive from the computer?
I have 2 installation disks, do I have to run both of them?
Is there a chance I can call you on the phone, so you can guide me through the whole process? If I screw up something I wouldn't have any way to ask you for an advice again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a very easy process and you won't mess it up. Print this post out if don't have access to another machine.

Remove the external hard drive from your Mac first. The disk you want is #1 which contains the utilities and installer. Insert that disk, reboot the machine and hold down the C key as soon as you hear the bong sound. Continue holding it until it begins to boot from the disk.

Once it boots, accept the license, and English as the language. Don't proceed with the installer but instead go to the top menu that appeared. Click on Utilities, and then on Disk Utility. Now highlight your hard drive on the left side. Highlight the line that shows the disk capacity (GB).

Click on erase and select the format to use: Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Name the hard drive MacIntosh HD

Click on erase at the bottom of the screen, then click erase again on the second window. The drive will be formatted and ready to use. After this is done you can proceed with the install of Leopard 10.5.X. You should then be asked if you wish to transfer data from another Mac. Reply yes and attach your Time Machine backup and then select OK. Time Machine will restore your data and apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've read in a blog how you can protect the erased files in your computer from being reopened by erasing the free space and out of curiosity decided to try it. Little did I knew that I can't reverse this easily. Now, my 1TB hard drive is full to the top and I can't save anything else.

????
I erase the free space once in awhile and it never caused the hard drive to fill up. I don't see how that can be a consequence of that procedure.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,
it really worked. I'm so happy, but still can't believe I manage to go through it.
I appreciate all your help.

Big Thank you!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. Glad to hear you're up and running again. Good experience for future reference. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.