Did I make a mistake?

Reaction score
Help! Older Mac Mini connector issues

I just purchased an older 2006 Mac Mini and want to connect it to my current monitor. I can't seem to find a cable that will work with the Mini. It has the older port in the back--would require screws and the little "plus" sign. Sorry, I can't figure out the name of it. The monitor would need the standard VGA connector. I feel like I've looked everywhere for this kind of cable and can't find one.

If I can't get it sorted out, I guess I'll head up to the Apple Store when it opens today....unless anyone can help me here? :)

OP
S
Reaction score
I recently purchased an older 2006 Mac Mini. I was pretty excited about it (sad, I know) but now I'm wondering if I should have just saved and waited to get a newer model. I'm having issues with finding the correct cable to connect it to my monitor, and I need to purchase a new mouse and keyboard. Should I keep forging along with it or sell it and save up for something newer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what inputs does the monitor have

Reaction score
Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh ac
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB
What you have there is a DVI output. It is really easy to get your hands on one, just go onto ebay and type 'dvi to vga' and you'll find a really cheap one. Then just plug in the VGA cable to both your monitor and the adaptor and it'll work fine.
Good lick with the Mac mini.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If its the thicker Mac mini, then the video output is a standard DVI connection thats easy to go to ay monitor. You should have also gotten a converter to connect to a VGA monitor with the Mac mini as well.

The whole selling point of the Mac mini is that you already have the monitor keyboard and mouse..otherwise looks like you were a little too excited to get a Mac and forgot to research..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The 2006 Mini should have been one of the first Intel Mac Minis. That being said, you will not be able to run the most modern of software as its hardware won't support it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have it figured out now. I did research it--I also have a MacBook Pro. I was confused about the DVI to VGA cable. I need a USB mouse, but other than that, I'm good! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently purchased an older 2006 Mac Mini. I was pretty excited about it (sad, I know) but now I'm wondering if I should have just saved and waited to get a newer model. I'm having issues with finding the correct cable to connect it to my monitor, and I need to purchase a new mouse and keyboard. Should I keep forging along with it or sell it and save up for something newer?

If it truly is a 2006 model...then I would have passed on it...since it doesn't have at least a Core 2 Duo cpu. But...if you got it for a very good price...then that can make all the difference!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged...same issue..."problem with monitor & Mac-Mini".

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.