Gaming in Windows with Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
I'm curious to know how well Boot Camp works with Mac generally. Is it good for gaming? If so how smooth does it run?:Cool::Cool:

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac I have is The Macbook Pro 13'' Mid 2012.
For any user who has this macbook and uses bootcamp for Gaming let me know how your experience is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Not sure about about a Macbook but Bootcamp works well on an imac.
I play games like call of duty with no problems.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, I think it helps to understand what Boot Camp actually is - I say this because nothing actually runs "under" Boot Camp. Boot Camp is a set of utilities that helps facilitate the installation of Windows in a parallel fashion to Mac OS X.

Modern Macs with Intel processors are not very different from a typical PC. In fact, you can pop a Windows 7 disc into any Intel Mac and install it without having to do anything special, completely eliminating Mac OS X and essentially making it identical to your run-of-the-mill PC.

Boot Camp is just a fancy name for two things - a partitioning utility to split the drive into two partitions and a set of hardware drivers (so that you don't have to source these on your own, if Windows doesn't automatically configure drivers for things like your graphics card and sound card, amongst others). Finally, it contains the Apple Software Update program for Windows and a Control Panel applet for tweaking settings for the Apple-specific hardware features (like the iSight camera, Mac-specific keyboard, etc).

So, when you run Windows, there's no "emulation" layer per se. As far as Windows knows, it's running on any other PC and so the only limitation is the power of your hardware. In short, it will run exactly the same as it would run on an equivalent PC of the same specification. So, if a game runs great on a Dell with an i5 processor at the same speed and Intel integrated graphics, then it would run the same way on a similar Mac.

Make sense?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I think it helps to understand what Boot Camp actually is - I say this because nothing actually runs "under" Boot Camp. Boot Camp is a set of utilities that helps facilitate the installation of Windows in a parallel fashion to Mac OS X.

Modern Macs with Intel processors are not very different from a typical PC. In fact, you can pop a Windows 7 disc into any Intel Mac and install it without having to do anything special, completely eliminating Mac OS X and essentially making it identical to your run-of-the-mill PC.

Boot Camp is just a fancy name for two things - a partitioning utility to split the drive into two partitions and a set of hardware drivers (so that you don't have to source these on your own, if Windows doesn't automatically configure drivers for things like your graphics card and sound card, amongst others). Finally, it contains the Apple Software Update program for Windows and a Control Panel applet for tweaking settings for the Apple-specific hardware features (like the iSight camera, Mac-specific keyboard, etc).

So, when you run Windows, there's no "emulation" layer per se. As far as Windows knows, it's running on any other PC and so the only limitation is the power of your hardware. In short, it will run exactly the same as it would run on an equivalent PC of the same specification. So, if a game runs great on a Dell with an i5 processor at the same speed and Intel integrated graphics, then it would run the same way on a similar Mac.

Make sense?

Makes Perfect Sense, Thank you for your knowledge. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.