Two Harddrive backup to Time Machine

Reaction score
I have a Mac Book Pro with two drives, one solid state used for OS and applications and an internal harddrive for data -- is there a way to backup both drives to a Time Machine?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes.

Click on Time Machine (TM) in the top menu bar. Then select "Open TM Preferences". Then Click on "Options". This opens a "window" which allows you to Exclude anything you don't want backed up. Provided you don't Exclude anything, TM will automatically back up your SSD and your IHD. If by any chance, either of these is shown, highlight and use the minus button to remove.

In most situations, certainly mine which is identical to yours, the default is to Exclude nothing = Include all HDs; SSD + IHD.

Leave TM to do its job.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Ian -- how did you set up your iMAC with a SSD + IHD. My IHD has a everything then I put my applications on the SSD -- but I'm having problems with duplicates across OS Applications when I search in the spotlight.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Syd

What I did was leave the entire OS on the SSD along with my user's folder.

I transferred my iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture and iMovie Libraries to my IHD. By default on my iMac which was delivered with the SSD and IHD; the SSD is called Macintosh HD and the IHD is called Macintosh HD 2.

You may find the following Links on moving these libraries to be helpful. The instructions apply equally to copying or moving them to an EHD or, in your case, to the IHD (Macintosh HD 2).

Move the iPhoto Library to an External Hard Drive

iMovie

How to move your iTunes Media folder | Macworld

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi Syd

What I did was leave the entire OS on the SSD along with my user's folder.

I transferred my iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture and iMovie Libraries to my IHD. By default on my iMac which was delivered with the SSD and IHD; the SSD is called Macintosh HD and the IHD is called Macintosh HD 2.

That's largely what I did also. Too many people who have this setup move their entire Home folder to the HDD, which negates some of the performance advantage of having an SSD in the first place. I named my SSD Macintosh SSD (well that's what it is) and the HD is partitioned up. I wholly moved over some folders (Movies, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and the MobileSync folder from my Library) from my Home folder to a User Data partition, then placed symbolic links to these folders in their proper places back Home. That way OS X will treat them as if they are where they should be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks Ian -- how did you set up your iMAC with a SSD + IHD. My IHD has a everything then I put my applications on the SSD -- but I'm having problems with duplicates across OS Applications when I search in the spotlight.

It looks like your problem is that you have your Applications folder and the apps it contains on each drive. Do you WANT a copy on each drive? If not, delete the Apps folder off one (ideally whack the one on the HDD). If you actually want both folders and duplicates, then open the System Preferences, go to Spotlight, and add one of those folders in the Privacy list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.