MBA 13" or MBP 13"+SSD

Reaction score
Hi!

I am thinking about buying a new MacBook as my MacBook White ('10) is become to slow for me. I am forced to choose between two base models:
MBA 13" (2012) + 8Gb of RAM
MBP 13" (2012) + SSD
The price difference between these two options is not that big so that is why I am considering both options.
I am not a hard-core computer user: my MB is mainly used for studies, YouTube, iPhoto + some photo editing on Pixelimator, iMovie; moreover, I would like to leave playing games an option (games like Angry Birds, Civilization V, Sims 3, Half-life 2, SimCity 5 etc). However, I would like to buy this computer for a longer period of use (2-3 years).

At the moment I am leaning to MBA due to its - primarily - portability. However, does the processor difference (between 1,8 and 2,5ghz) is noticeable? MBA superiority in some factors comes form its SSD but what about MBP with SSD - how much "faster" would it be with it? Lastly, is it even possible to get everything form MBP+SSD according how I use a computer? (I was looking for some benchmarks to compare MBA vs. MBP+SSD but could not find any).
By the way, I could not find if MBP13" has those new asymmetrical fans as in rMBP and MBA?

Thank you for your answers!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would personally lean toward the MacBook Pro, only because it is more upgradeable and you aren't stuck with the memory configuration you bought it with - it also uses a standard drive formfactor, which makes it a lot easier to upgrade that as well. That's not to mention the serviceability and added expansion ports, which are far greater on the MBP. The only advantage to the MacBook Air is its slight weight and thickness advantages, which are trivial, in my opinion.

The MBA is a good option for someone who travels constantly and never intends to do any kind of "heavy lifting" with it. For all other purposes, the MBP is the better machine.

Also, it's worth noting that Apple's SSD options are pricey - there are often better options available in the aftermarket and at a significant cost savings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
My 2012 13" MBA 2 GHZ i7, 512 GB SSD is four times faster than my 2011 11" MBA 1.8 GHZ i7 256 GB SSD. And it is eight times faster than my 2010 15" MBP 2.66 GHZ i7, 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD

For whatever that is worth. Love the Airs for their speed, the 13" for it's great screen, and for their light weight. Just be sure to max an Air out at purchase as they are not later upgradable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.