E-readers... Ipad vs nook vs kindle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.53GHz Core i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HD
I'm shopping around seeing what's available in terms of e-readers. I just want something simple strictly for reading ebooks. I don't need anything with fancy video or internet browsing features, I already have a wi-fi laptop and my Iphone.

For that reason, I don't plan on going for a new Ipad because that's way more $$$ than I want to spend (I'd like to try to keep the price under $150), and most of the Ipad features I already have on my Iphone. But I might be open to the possibility of buying a used 1st gen. ipad if I can get one for a decent price.

But for now, I'm looking at the various models of Nook and Kindle. So what do you guys think? Ipad vs kindle vs nook? What would you choose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I went iPad, it's FAR better than my iPhone for many, many things. We have a kindle around here as well, it's an older one.. so it's only an e-reader.. and it's largely ignored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you are ONLY using it as an ereader, don't bother with an iPad, especially a first gen iPad. Either get a kindle (my recommendation) or a nook. I'd stick with one of the e-ink tabs instead of an LCD model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
If you believe the rumour mill the answer to your question may change in the next couple of months.
I am talking about the "rumoured" iPad mini which would serve as a perfect e-reader with a lot of additional functionality.

Something to think about
DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you believe the rumour mill the answer to your question may change in the next couple of months.
I am talking about the "rumoured" iPad mini which would serve as a perfect e-reader with a lot of additional functionality.

Something to think about
DavidH

Not really. He wants an e-reader, not a tablet. And with the rumored $250-$300 price of the iPad Mini it's also out of his budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11" i5 Mid 2012 Mountain Lion 10.8.5
If it was just a choice in between those three I would choose the Kindle. I actually own an ipad 1st gen and have used a Kindle Fire extensively and the Fire is much faster and more responsive.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My reccommendation is that you try them out and then choose. I really wanted a Kindle, but when it came down to it I found that I absolutely hate e-Ink.

For me the iPad is an almost perfect eReader.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new 3rd Generation iPad with retina display is a perfect e-reader among other things that it can do. More expensive than the Kindle but you get much more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new 3rd Generation iPad with retina display is a perfect e-reader among other things that it can do. More expensive than the Kindle but you get much more.

I'm on the opposite boat. I've used the iPad as an ereader, and it works as an ereader but its much heavier than a dedicated ereader. I just picked up a nice 7in tablet, the Nexus 7, and its much nicer to hold than an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
iPad Mini

I'm on the opposite boat. I've used the iPad as an ereader, and it works as an ereader but its much heavier than a dedicated ereader. I just picked up a nice 7in tablet, the Nexus 7, and its much nicer to hold than an iPad.

Stretch, that is what I mean with iPad Mini with its rumoured 7" Size.
I think it will compete in the e-Reader market place because it should be able to do so much more functionaly and will be a more comfortable form factor for an e-Reader.

Maybe I have been reading too many rumours. lol

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But an iPad Mini will be well above the $150 budget he has.

C

chas_m

But an iPad Mini will be well above the $150 budget he has.

POSSIBLY. And possibly NOT. Unless you're in charge of pricing for Apple, you don't actually know this. Given that it's two main competitors are priced at $200, I would say that if Apple's going to do an iPad mini AT ALL, it can't really be more than $250 (and would likely be less) in order to succeed.

But to answer the OP's actual question: if you're set on an E-READER and NOT a versatile mini-computer, then I'd suggest you get the JUST-announced Kindle Paperwhite @ $119:

Amazon reveals new Kindle Paperwhite | Electronista

The 3G version (which does not require a 3G contract, the 3G is only to Amazon and free of charge) costs $179. Both will ship on October 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kindle Paperwhite

POSSIBLY. And possibly NOT. Unless you're in charge of pricing for Apple, you don't actually know this. Given that it's two main competitors are priced at $200, I would say that if Apple's going to do an iPad mini AT ALL, it can't really be more than $250 (and would likely be less) in order to succeed.

But to answer the OP's actual question: if you're set on an E-READER and NOT a versatile mini-computer, then I'd suggest you get the JUST-announced Kindle Paperwhite @ $119:

Amazon reveals new Kindle Paperwhite | Electronista

The 3G version (which does not require a 3G contract, the 3G is only to Amazon and free of charge) costs $179. Both will ship on October 1.

Chas_m
The Kindle Paperwhite looks like a great e-reader, and it is priced right.
I don't think their new Kindle Fire HD is going to compete with Apple's iPad though.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I have iPad and kindle. As a reader, the kindle is much easier to read. I do a lot of reading outside and the kindle is much, much better. No glare.

C

chas_m

The Nook is also a very fine e-reader, but I think the Kindle Paperwhite ups the game a notch. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Clarification: I am not sure if the Kindle Paperwhite is subject to the despicable bait-and-switch of "special offers" (ads) all over the place. You'll want to make sure that it isn't (or that you can pay extra to opt out) before purchasing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Nook is also a very fine e-reader, but I think the Kindle Paperwhite ups the game a notch. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Clarification: I am not sure if the Kindle Paperwhite is subject to the despicable bait-and-switch of "special offers" (ads) all over the place. You'll want to make sure that it isn't (or that you can pay extra to opt out) before purchasing.

They have a version without special offers for $139.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
I have a Nook, had trouble with it from DAY ONE, I will NEVER buy another one, and their tech support doesn't know anything. GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
I LOVE my iPad! :D

Except for the built-in keyboard, it's quite an awesome product.

Reaction score
please stay away from nook once nooks are registered to a account they cannot be deregistered so once you bought it its yours forever you cannot resell it because you cannot connect to nooks services without the original account.

had one never again.

had a iPad never again.

See apple decides where not going to update your device anymore so where going to update all the apps to the latest iOS version and lockout all older iPads and iPod touches from downloading apps no thank you.

Have a android tablet and a kindle fire recommend both both have mac software available including.

Calibre which allows you to create your own books from your own pdf's no more paying amazon to convert a pdf for you at 1.99 a pdf.

and the android file transfer application that allows you to transfer music and videos to your device as well as documents.

C

chas_m

Now that the iPad is both lightweight and has a Retina display, I wouldn't even consider a Kindle or any other physical e-reader unless I wanted a single-purpose grayscale e-ink type display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.