Iphone killing Macbook Air, anyone experience this?

YB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 -Mid-2012-, IPhone 4S
Bought the wife a new Macbook Air in June. When she plugged in the Iphone 4S to charge the first time it shut down the Air, Restarted, plugged in and did it again.
She tried it a third time and it Killed the computer.
Took it back to the store and they replaced the computer.

New computer worked fine charging and running the Iphone 4S. Now it started to kill it again. Have to call Tech support..

Anyone else hear of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Is this all happening with the same cable? Might be a short in the cable causing it.

OP
YB.

YB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm.....

Will have to ask her about that.
I will hate to have to try it again and have the Air totally Die..
..but...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My understanding (may be wrong) is that the USB ports on the MBA and MBP are not designed to carry the current load demanded by the iPhone and iPad. Probably should use the separate charger supplied with the device.

I can plug my 3rd generation iPad into to my iMac (which has better load capacity ports) and notice it takes considerably longer to charge than when using the wall charger supplied with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
My understanding (may be wrong) is that the USB ports on the MBA and MBP are not designed to carry the current load demanded by the iPhone and iPad. Probably should use the separate charger supplied with the device.

I can plug my 3rd generation iPad into to my iMac (which has better load capacity ports) and notice it takes considerably longer to charge than when using the wall charger supplied with it.

My MBP has no issue charging my iPad or iPhone, other than taking much longer than the wall chargers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My question about this is: You have to plug it in to update the IOS. That will not update over WiFi. If he plugs it in to even sync or update IOS and it shuts down the Air, that can't be normal.

It's true that with Charging it will take way longer, but you do have to plug it in from time to time no matter what.

Agree with Stretch, use my iPad and iPhone with my Macbook and no issues. I always charge my iPhone via the USB but the ipad takes so long I use it's charger.

OP
YB.

YB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

She was using the same cord so I switched it with mine.
Put her old cord on my Mac Mini. Did not kill it however by slight movement of the cord would send off the 'sound' as if the phone was just starting to charge.

Will have to wait and see how the new cord works on the Air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I had the same issue and it was the cord and it would only do it with my Macbook pro and it wouldnt shut down either of my imacs. I would try with the cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Sounds very much like a short in the cord. Replace it with a free new one from the Apple store if it was that which shipped with the new Air.

OP
YB.

YB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have tried it with a different cord and with no problems. So the Cord was it.
Thanks Stretch for first mentioning it and thanks to everyone who responded...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.