youtube is choppy

Reaction score
Hello,
I am not computer savvy... and I have a problem with my macbook. If anyone has ideas about what I can do, that would be great.
Youtube is choppy. It used to be fine, but now it's choppy. My CPU usage (in the activity moniter) is lit up like a Christmas tree when youtube is on (all red and green lights), and the green pie piece on my System Memory piechart is just a sliver. I can barely see it. I tried quitting all extra applications. What should I do? Anyone?

Mike

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I went ahead and moved this thread from News and Community Announcements, since it's actually a technical question.

By default, YouTube uses Flash for displaying videos. Flash is known for being inefficient. You can address this in one of several ways.

First and foremost, make sure Flash is up to date - get the latest version here. Once you've downloaded it, double-click the file and open the disk. Then double-click the installer within the virtual disk. This should walk you through the installation process.

Secondly, you may want to try switching YouTube over to HTML5, which is far more efficient than Flash. You can do so by following the instructions here.

Lastly, you may also try Chrome instead of whichever browser you use today. Chrome has its own built-in Flash implementation that is kept updated with the browser. Download Chrome for Mac here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.