27" iMac Feedback?

Reaction score
I've been doing some research and was leaning heavily towards getting a Mac Mini but after weighing the costs then thinking about replacing my 6-7 year old 30' Dell monitor, it looks like I might be better off going with a 27" iMac

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keyboard

$1699.99

The Mini that I was looking at is -

2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
AMD Radeon HD 6630M
Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keyboard

$1187.99

I never really thought to much about an all in one. Actually, didn't think they were that great but after doing some reading and running the numbers, it might be a better way to go. Any real world feedback?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Get the iMac. Its worth the extra just for the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
We have both an iMac and a Mac Mini and both suit different purposes. I chose iMac because I no longer wanted the clutter. I had limited space on a gorgeous looking desk within a space that has fairly minimalist decor and clean lines. In other words it looks the bee knees from an aesthetic point of view. All that apart, the tech specs were very important at the time for me, not least of which was the screen size from a work point of view.

The Mac mini is used by my youngest daughter and it was a budget decision first and foremost to get her onto Mac and away from several costly PC Laptop traumas. We upgraded her screen about 12 months ago. She's off to University in a couple of weeks time and she intends to take the job lot with her.

A word of caution..there are rumours that the iMac is going to get a revamp. Exactly when that is we don't know but a short supply in Apple Stores is normally an indicator that things are about to happen and there is a post on this forum from the Bot that this may be likely http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...0-27-inch-imac-short-supply-apple-stores.html

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any real world feedback?

The 27" iMac's have been around since 2009. They're a great value compared to what you would pay for the individual components (computer, monitor, keyboard, and mouse).

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I stopped into the local Apple store today and checked them out some more. I think the 27" will be the one that I go with! Aside from using iPhones, this will be my first Apple product so it will take a little getting used to. One thing that I'm trying to decide on is to go with the Trackpad or Magic Mouse. The Trackpad is interesting and difference. I like it for those reasons but... I hand gets tired after I use it for about 20 minutes (tried it before too). Can't just rest it like I can when using a house. Will I be losing out or missing anything if I go with the Magic Mouse instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
If you can get both.
The trackpad is good for general use but i switch to the mouse for more precise work.
If I had to have just one I would keep the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you like the Magic Trackpad, get it. You can always get a 3rd party mouse afterwards. I feel that the Magic Mouse is trying to be two things at once and does a horrible job at both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with the iMac. Have same model and runs perfectly. After you purchase it increase memory to 12GB by purchasing 2 x 4GB modules from OWC. You can install these yourself.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hum... I have a wireless mouse that I use on my current computer. I could go with the Track pad and use that mouse (Microsoft). That will give me the best of both worlds. I have a lot to learn when it comes to that pad (gestures). The one that I learned today (by accident) was the 5 finger close. Really like that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with harryb2448. I got 12GB of ram after i Bought my iMac. It was inexpensive and easy to install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.