Trouble Connecting to PC from my Mac

Reaction score
kay so im setting up a network with my new mac and followed the instructions here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

the only problem is when it asks for me to login (name password and such) i keep getting an error.

i have absolutely no idea what is going wrong. what name do i have to enter? my XP username and XP user password? its auto filling in the name and still nothing works. any help would be greatly appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of Windows is it? XP and if so, Home or Pro?

Reaction score
What does the error message say?

I am doing the same thing, but my problem is that when it asks for my username and password, I can type anything and it will still log on. I can even just skip it and click continue and it will log on. What's the point in asking for it if it doesn't use it?

OP
E
Reaction score
win xp Pro. the error is "Could not connect to the server because the username or password is incorrect".

this is when i log on under my username that i log onto windows with.

when i use the defaults for username that mac puts in i get the error message "The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found (error code -43)"

this is so frusterating! lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So this is from OSX trying to log into XP? If so, what always worked for me is administrator for login and the windows admin password. If that gets the error, does your xp have SP2 installed? Is the firewall in networking enabled and if so, is file sharing checked as an exception? Also be sure in OSX Preferences/Sharing/Services that Personal File Sharing and Windows Sharing is checked.

OP
E
Reaction score
hmm for some reason the windows firewall options are all greyed out...perhaps this has something to do with it... i think this is from one of those **** spyware programs.

OP
E
Reaction score
i can connect to my mac from my pc but not vice versa. as mentioned im on SP2 and the firewall options are all greyed out but even so the firewall is turned off...very confusing...what am i doing wrong?

Reaction score
I was getting the error code -36 (My Mac wasn't able to connect to my PC). I realized I had Norton Interent Security on an had to open the program, go to Personal Firewall, click configure, click the Networking Tab, and ADD my Mac's IP address for Single Address.

Then I got the SMB/CIFS File System Authentication prompt. I had my whole secondary harddrive on my PC "D" shared. I couldn't get pass the prompt. I figured I would try using a shared folder instead of the whole drive. Change my path name to the shared folder and BINGO it worked!

Hope this helps.

OP
E
Reaction score
i dont have Norton Internet Security, so im not sure. like i mentioned, my firewall (windows firewall) settings is totally greyed out which i think was done by a virus or spyware program.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.