Wifi Connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2GHz quad-Intel Core i7, 4GB, 750GB HDD
Hi there, I hope someone can help me out here.

I use my MBP 15" (Early 2011) for office and home. Whenever I am in the office, I have to turn on Web proxy, Secure Web proxy, FTP proxy and SOCKS proxy, in the network setting. When I am outside of office (e.g., home/wifi cafe), I will have to turn off the settings as mentioned earlier.

This is annoying. Is there a way to overcome this configuration process? My MBP is not an authorized system in my office, but I need to use it for work reason. That's why it doesn't have any IT support.

Thank you very much for your help here.
Wannabemac

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 9.02.24 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's no way that I know of setting up a "WiFi Profile" - in other words being able to switch from the "Office" profile to your "Home" profile. I know it's a pain to have to initiate those settings when you take the Mac to the Office and then change back when you go home.... Perhaps buying another MacBook Pro just for Office use? Not a very economical resolution to the problem though. :(

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply, chscag. I tried creating two wifi profiles in the network setting, but it doesn't work as these two profiles are basically image of each other.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I may be mistaken but "locations" does not have the ability to setup the profile he needs when at home or at the office. It can certainly change the location from home to office, but he would still have to fill in the information about the proxy each time he switched.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mrplow, thanks for the help. You are a savior. As of now, I have managed to change 'location' when I was at home. Since I haven't tried that in the office, I can only know if the 'locations' thing works on Monday. I am pretty positive and happy about this 'location' thingy!

Thanks everybody for your help here. Will update you if 'locations' work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.