Is it just me?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I <3 my iPhone but I'm seriously starting to get tired of iOS. >_>" It's starting to get stale and the preview for iOS 6 doesn't look that great to me. It is pretty much the same thing but with new Apps.

I don't know if it's because I use it so much and I'm getting bored of it or what. I've tried jailbreaking before and the mods and stuff don't interest me in the least bit.

I hate to admit it but I might end up selling my 4S and getting an Android Phone or shock horror a Windows 8 Phone. >_<"""

Not going to do anything crazy just yet, but I'm excited for the new iPhone. I guess time will tell. The leaked pictures and stuff are kind of ruining it for me though. >_>"

Your thoughts on iOS and the iPhone?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd be lying if I said that every iOS update was exciting. Aesthetically, it hasn't changed...well, at all really. In terms of functionality it's certainly grown but there's little in each release that gets me truly excited about new updates. On the same token however, I don't ask for much out of a mobile operating system - I just need it to be stable, light and stay out of my way. For the most part, iOS does a very good job at meeting those criteria. It's relatively light (especially when compared to Android ROMs that have stuff layered on top), it's stable and it lets me do what I want with little interference (except for the low battery warning which appears at 20%, then reappears three seconds later when iOS calculates the remaining battery at 20.1% which then drops back to 20%).

Companies generally fall into one of two camps when it comes to updating a product. Some go for broke and shift the paradigm in a drastic way. An excellent example of this is Windows 8 or, for my Unix friends, GNOME 2 to 3. The other group, which includes Mozilla, Google and Apple, tend to go for more incremental updates. Even some of Apple's larger updates such as Lion weren't really all that revolutionary. I tend to favour the evolutionary (latter) model and I think this is where Apple has decided to put iOS because, for them, it's proving to be quite financially lucrative and technologically sound. Why fix something that isn't broken?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This will probably rub people the wrong way, but I am reverse on mobile OSs. I love the design and functionality of IOS. I have tried to mess with Android OS many times and it's always left me cold.

I DO like Windows 8 for phones and tablets though, just not on a desktop computer. If anything swayed me away from IOS it would be a Windows 8 phone.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'd be lying if I said that every iOS update was exciting. Aesthetically, it hasn't changed...well, at all really. In terms of functionality it's certainly grown but there's little in each release that gets me truly excited about new updates. On the same token however, I don't ask for much out of a mobile operating system - I just need it to be stable, light and stay out of my way. For the most part, iOS does a very good job at meeting those criteria. It's relatively light (especially when compared to Android ROMs that have stuff layered on top), it's stable and it lets me do what I want with little interference (except for the low battery warning which appears at 20%, then reappears three seconds later when iOS calculates the remaining battery at 20.1% which then drops back to 20%).

Companies generally fall into one of two camps when it comes to updating a product. Some go for broke and shift the paradigm in a drastic way. An excellent example of this is Windows 8 or, for my Unix friends, GNOME 2 to 3. The other group, which includes Mozilla, Google and Apple, tend to go for more incremental updates. Even some of Apple's larger updates such as Lion weren't really all that revolutionary. I tend to favour the evolutionary (latter) model and I think this is where Apple has decided to put iOS because, for them, it's proving to be quite financially lucrative and technologically sound. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Well never said that it was broken. :p I think I'm just bored of my Phone. Maybe when I do get another phone I'll miss my iPhone and go back.

I think I just want the OS to be a little more interactive and social networking to be a little more integrated. Facebook integration finally iOS6. ^-^

This will probably rub people the wrong way, but I am reverse on mobile OSs. I love the design and functionality of IOS. I have tried to mess with Android OS many times and it's always left me cold.

I DO like Windows 8 for phones and tablets though, just not on a desktop computer. If anything swayed me away from IOS it would be a Windows 8 phone.

Yeah I really like the tiles on Windows 8 and how everything is just there on the home screen. Don't have to go looking for stuff. I kind of wish Notification center on iOS6 had a little bit of design to it. It quite frankly is way too plain. I like simple but I don't like plain. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think I'm just bored of my Phone. Maybe when I do get another phone I'll miss my iPhone and go back.
I think it's great to try new platforms. It's one thing to read stories/watch reviews and another to actually use it. For all you know, you may love Android or WP7/8. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got a chance to try a Samsung Galaxy Tablet for an extended time today. It made me really appreciate my iPad. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The more crap they append to these phones, the more I miss my compact little Moto RAZR v3 that held a charge for a week. Phone calls, voicemail, email and calendar alarms are plenty of features for me. I may just reactivate it when my iPhone contract expires in Summer 2013. Sometimes simpler is better. Then again, I like cool new tech so maybe I'll stay on the techno-dope for another 2 year hitch?

C

chas_m

I can't really understand people who are "bored" with an OS that works and are looking to make a change so that they can have an inferior experience.

The reason iOS hasn't changed much is because Apple largely *got it right on the first try.*

Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I'll stick with what works. Change for change's sake usually leads to wasted money and/or effort in my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I can understand why people get bored of the iOS interface, or indeed any interface that your stare at everyday.

For me, an OS, particularly on a mobile device is at it's best when it's solid, reliable and near invisible. It's all about the apps and function. I don't want to be wrestling with an 'exciting' and 'interesting' OS.

I daily use iOS on iPhone/iPad and Android ICS on a Touchpad. On a weekly basis many Android and feature phones pass my way. I've only barely skimmed Windows Phone.
What brings me back firmly to iOS all the time is the simple form and function (easy to put this in the boring camp). But it's far and away, for me, better than the Android 'clutter' and differing experience device to device.

But horses-for-courses. Everyone wants different things from there personal tech. For me, I'll take a borderline boring OS and a near endless buffet of quality apps over any alternative, any day.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The more crap they append to these phones, the more I miss my compact little Moto RAZR v3 that held a charge for a week. Phone calls, voicemail, email and calendar alarms are plenty of features for me. I may just reactivate it when my iPhone contract expires in Summer 2013. Sometimes simpler is better. Then again, I like cool new tech so maybe I'll stay on the techno-dope for another 2 year hitch?

Well I don't know if I want to go back that far. :p I've used a lot of phones before and I honestly love my iPhone because it's so intuitive and easy to use. Other smart phones not so much.

I think it's great to try new platforms. It's one thing to read stories/watch reviews and another to actually use it. For all you know, you may love Android or WP7/8. ;)

You could be right about that. I'll miss iCloud if I do end up switching. Sure there are alternatives but they probably won't be as nice as iCloud.

I can't really understand people who are "bored" with an OS that works and are looking to make a change so that they can have an inferior experience.

The reason iOS hasn't changed much is because Apple largely *got it right on the first try.*

Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I'll stick with what works. Change for change's sake usually leads to wasted money and/or effort in my experience.

I don't know if they got it right the first time. If that were the case everyone would be using an iPhone. :D
I can understand why people get bored of the iOS interface, or indeed any interface that your stare at everyday.

For me, an OS, particularly on a mobile device is at it's best when it's solid, reliable and near invisible. It's all about the apps and function. I don't want to be wrestling with an 'exciting' and 'interesting' OS.

I daily use iOS on iPhone/iPad and Android ICS on a Touchpad. On a weekly basis many Android and feature phones pass my way. I've only barely skimmed Windows Phone.
What brings me back firmly to iOS all the time is the simple form and function (easy to put this in the boring camp). But it's far and away, for me, better than the Android 'clutter' and differing experience device to device.

But horses-for-courses. Everyone wants different things from there personal tech. For me, I'll take a borderline boring OS and a near endless buffet of quality apps over any alternative, any day.

Could be cause I use the phone too much. :D I use Mac OSX everyday but I'm never bored of that. :p Weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I <3 my iPhone but I'm seriously starting to get tired of iOS. >_>" It's starting to get stale and the preview for iOS 6 doesn't look that great to me. It is pretty much the same thing but with new Apps.

I don't know if it's because I use it so much and I'm getting bored of it or what. I've tried jailbreaking before and the mods and stuff don't interest me in the least bit.

I hate to admit it but I might end up selling my 4S and getting an Android Phone or shock horror a Windows 8 Phone. >_<"""

Not going to do anything crazy just yet, but I'm excited for the new iPhone. I guess time will tell. The leaked pictures and stuff are kind of ruining it for me though. >_>"

Your thoughts on iOS and the iPhone?

If it's any consolation I do feel strangely bored with my iPhone 4. I lost interest recently when I discovered certain things wouldn't work on it with iOS6 and that the screen size is smaller than some out there. It and it's imitators are now just ubiquitous and I think that Apple have left it too long between model upgrades to make any real difference again.

Maybe the evolution is complete and all that can possibly happen now is that the genre gets some enhancements and the manufacturers start to diversify with different shapes.

I will be very surprised if the new iPhone is any sort of game changer because apart from (allegedly) having a pay chip inside and a new connector it will be just a nice looking smartphone with apps and some other enhancements.

If I'm brutally honest, I've never found the naked iPhone ergonomically
practical as a phone, it's as slippery as a bar of soap, the top edge hurts my ear, the screen marks up easily and the mic picks up the wind too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I doubt I'd ever use anything except iOS for my phone just because it is so stable and well put together. On the I the hand I just sold my iPad 1 and picked up a Nexus 7 tablet. Mainly for the size, and didn't want t to wait for the rumored iPad Mini. I love the form of it but some apps are a little lacking.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You say that as if it were an objective truth when the idea of objective superiority is laughable at best.

That must be why they keep improving it and fixing bugs.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's any consolation I do feel strangely bored with my iPhone 4. I lost interest recently when I discovered certain things wouldn't work on it with iOS6 and that the screen size is smaller than some out there. It and it's imitators are now just ubiquitous and I think that Apple have left it too long between model upgrades to make any real difference again.

Maybe the evolution is complete and all that can possibly happen now is that the genre gets some enhancements and the manufacturers start to diversify with different shapes.

I will be very surprised if the new iPhone is any sort of game changer because apart from (allegedly) having a pay chip inside and a new connector it will be just a nice looking smartphone with apps and some other enhancements.

If I'm brutally honest, I've never found the naked iPhone ergonomically
practical as a phone, it's as slippery as a bar of soap, the top edge hurts my ear, the screen marks up easily and the mic picks up the wind too much.

I kind of have to agree. While the iPhone does what I want it to do it is lacking in the hardware department. It looks great, but I hardly ever make any phone calls on it so can't really comment on the sound quality of my phone calls. :p

I doubt I'd ever use anything except iOS for my phone just because it is so stable and well put together. On the I the hand I just sold my iPad 1 and picked up a Nexus 7 tablet. Mainly for the size, and didn't want t to wait for the rumored iPad Mini. I love the form of it but some apps are a little lacking.

I secretly want a Nexus 7 tablet. I have the money for one but I already have the New iPad and I'm happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I kind of have to agree. While the iPhone does what I want it to do it is lacking in the hardware department. It looks great, but I hardly ever make any phone calls on it so can't really comment on the sound quality of my phone calls. :p

I secretly want a Nexus 7 tablet. I have the money for one but I already have the New iPad and I'm happy with it.

I got it for the size and wanted to try something new. So far I'm very impressed with it. Still have an iPad if I want to use it though, although mostly its for my fiancée and I use the Nexus 7.

C

chas_m

I don't know if they got it right the first time. If that were the case everyone would be using an iPhone. :D

Everyone IS using an iPhone. Some people are just using the poor man's knock off version of iOS because they can't afford the real thing (or have an irrational hatred of Apple but want the features). :)

Also, further to my original post: like OS X, I don't really "use" iOS that consciously. I use apps. The OS is just the support system, and I prefer those to stay out of my way as much as possible (which is why I prefer OS X as well).

Both Windows and Android operate under the assumption that users like interacting with the OS itself and thus should be "entertained" with endless customization. Obviously that appeals to some. I still say that impulse is not actually that popular (or Linux would be much bigger with consumers) and that most people like a limited range of choices best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.