Buying a MAC Mini. Questions About Configuration

Reaction score
My Dell Demension 9200C desktop is about 5 years old and is begging to be replaced. 2.39 GHz, 3 GM Ram, 250 MB hard drive. I know that even base computers will be an upgrade over what I have. And now, it's time with me to go with all Apple products. Have had iPhones since they came out, iPad soon and now working on the desktop.

MAC Mini, looking at options, would you go with a 2.5GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 with 8MB of RAM or a 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 with 4MB of RAM? I mainly use the computer for e-mail, surfing the web (maybe have 10-15 windows open), basic documents and some basic photo editing. Nothing to intense, no gaming or web design. Part of me thinks the 2.3 GHz with 4 MB would be a nice upgrade over what I have now. I like things to happen quickly without waiting so i usually look at faster is better but I'm also trying to get the most bang for the buck. Can't spend $ as freely as I used to years ago. Looking at their site and doing more research while typing this, it looks like the 2.5 comes with a better graphics processor. So far I've found 8MB of RAM for as low as $42.00 so I could add more later.

Buying a computer is like optioning a car, a lot of things that you want and they add up quick. I've read reviews that the 5400RPM hard drive might be kind of sluggish. Of course that is in their testing. With what I use it for, I might not see it to be a big deal. Especially if I haven't used a 7200 to compare.

Next is the Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad. I've used both in the store. The Trackpad is different and interesting but it seemed like my hand got tired after awhile. Not like I could always rest it on a mousepad. It was always up doing something. The Magic Mouse can be used like a regular mouse with hand/wrist on the mousepad most of the time but I don't believe it will allow for all of the gestures that the Trackpad offers?

Feedback from users and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Either of the Mac Mini's will do what you need without any problems, so buy the one that makes sense based on cost. You can do the memory upgrade yourself after you buy the Mini, don't have Apple do it (it's too expensive)..

My iMac came with the Magic Mouse and I liked it, and then played with the Trackpad at the Apple store and picked one up, so I use both depending on what I'm doing..for general browsing and putzing around, I use the trackpad..for simple gaming and stuff I end up using the mouse..

Reaction score
The Mac mini's are great computers. I use them for simple servers and desktop apps -- you get great performance per buck with them.

The only place I've been disappointed with them is in gaming. The graphics are sub-par, not even up to speed with the notebooks, and not upgradeable.

Other than that though, a great bargain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.