Icons in candybar

Reaction score
Recently, I have downloaded Candybar. Yes, it's great; however, I can't change some of the icons like iPhoto, iMovie and the like. Also, the trash icon. I want to use this icon so badly but I just can't replace my trash. Some icons are working, but this? No. What should I do? :'(:'(:'(:'(

Reaction score
These are native icons that come with OSX, just change all the privileges to read and write, and you're
good to go.

I don't know about the trash icon though, I remember back when I was using Panther I tried to change it.
I wasn't successful... I believe.

Ibanezi

OP
P
Reaction score
I was able to change it already :)) Do you know why I can't change some icons? They're are currently locked and I don't know why

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Apps from the App Store, like iPhoto, are locked and you can't change them with Candybar.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, Candybar no longer works as well in Lion and Mountain Lion. Most features are limited - like changing icons. That's why the developer has recently offered the application for free along with a serial number that will activate it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Free along with a serial number that will activate it? Does that mean that I need to have a serial number? On the upper left corner of my Candybar, it says that I only have 12 days to use that. Does that mean that it's only a trial version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct. But like chscag said, the serial number to unlock it is free. You just need to go to the developer to get it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The serial number is free and available for everyone. Here it is:

PPQA-YAMA-E3KP-VHXG-B6AL-L

Copy it from my post and enter it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
These are native icons that come with OSX, just change all the privileges to read and write, and you're
good to go.

Oh fer the luv... don't go screwing with the permissions in /System, which is where the native icons like for Trash reside. Never never never never EVER mess with /System unless you already know EXACTLY what you are doing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Recently, I have downloaded Candybar. Yes, it's great; however, I can't change some of the icons like iPhoto, iMovie and the like. Also, the trash icon. I want to use this icon so badly but I just can't replace my trash. Some icons are working, but this? No. What should I do? :'(:'(:'(:'(

I'm not sure why you can't replace the Trash icon. I just did, running Mountain Lion and CandyBar. Make sure you register CB and try again.

As for iPhoto and other Apple apps... the reason appears to be the permissions and ownership set for those apps. Everything I have that has been downloaded from the App Store has "system" set as the owner with read/write permissions. I can't change the icons on any of those with CandyBar. All the other apps that I've installed from outside the App Store can be changed. This seems a bit odd to me... the system icons can be replaced but the ownership for those files would be "system" also. Hmmm. I'll try to figure this out.

EDIT: actually the developers have already stated the reason. It's due to the code signing of App Store apps.
http://www.panic.com/blog/2012/08/candybar-mountain-lion-and-beyond/

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you can't replace the Trash icon. I just did, running Mountain Lion and CandyBar. Make sure you register CB and try again.

As for iPhoto and other Apple apps... the reason appears to be the permissions and ownership set for those apps. Everything I have that has been downloaded from the App Store has "system" set as the owner with read/write permissions. I can't change the icons on any of those with CandyBar. All the other apps that I've installed from outside the App Store can be changed. This seems a bit odd to me... the system icons can be replaced but the ownership for those files would be "system" also. Hmmm. I'll try to figure this out.

I've already changed the trash :) I exported the icon as an icon and used the exported icon. Hope you understand what I meant lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Its because of code signing. If Candybar changed the icon of App Store apps then the code wouldn't match what it should and OS X would throw a fit. They went into more details about it when Panic gave Candybar to Iconfactory and made it free.

Reaction score
Changing privileges

good to go.

I don't know about the trash icon though, I remember back when I was using Panther I tried to change it.
I wasn't successful... I believe.

Ibanezi

How do you change the privileges...you weren't very clear.... please elaborate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.