Has someone been on my computer?

Reaction score
I just returned from vacation a couple of days ago. I left my laptop at home, did not turn it off. I have an iphone and had been accessing my email remotely. When I got back and went to check my email, I could see that some emails had already been viewed, but not others. Also, my email seemed to be configured slightly differently than I usually have it. I chalked all of this up to the interaction between my iphone and computer and didn't think much more about it. Today I noticed that when I went to look at something in Pages, the "Open Recent" function showed documents that I know I have not looked at recently. I started poking around and found in Console that my computer had been "awakened" twice while I was gone. The History in my browser also shows activity at those same two times. I am wondering if my computer could have been accessed remotely or if someone would have had to have been in my house and physically looking at my computer? Is it possible there is some kind of spyware on it? Any other explanations? Sorry I am not very tech savvy, so I apologize if my questions are stupid. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Someone has been poking around, but that's to be expected when you leave a computer on and with no screensaver password.

If I left my house unlocked for a couple of days I would be surprised to come back and still find my HD TV still in the living room

Has anybody else got access to your room?

OP
B
Reaction score
Fair enough on the lack of password protection. My mistake. I did not leave my house unlocked. The only people with access to my house are my immediate family, who were with me on vacation, and two trusted extended family members who live nearby. One of them was out of town as well. So could it have been accessed remotely or "hacked" in some way, or not?

Reaction score
Is it possible there is some kind of spyware on it?
Any time you eave your computer physically unattended, this is a possibility.

Why would you leave your computer on and unsecured when you know you will not be using it?

FWIW, when we go on vacation, we put computers we don't take with us (and other valuable items) in the safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.