Downloading multiple files from username/password protected website

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im hoping someone can help me here. I have just left university but want to download all the files from our resource folder. Basically its 4 years of notes! They are very valuable and I could manually save them, but it would take ages.

Its obviously password and username protected. Is there a program/script/app I can use to download these?

They are in multiple formats - pdf, jpeg, word, excel etc

Is there a way of doing this?

I would be most grateful for any guidance/help

Gerry

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How do you access these files? Is it over the network? Network share? or something else? Based on method of access, we can suggest the fastest way of getting the files..

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Raz0rEdge

Thanks for your quick reply!

I access it online on a webpage, so its a website that we log into. The site ends in .aspx if that sheds further light on it?

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Gerry

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well first and foremost if this information is available to you to keep, you might want to contact the person who put it there and see if they can transfer it to you in a ZIP file or a USB flash drive or something.

if the website is the only way, scripting it gets a little annoying unless you can provide the username/password directly in the URL of a file and have it be downloaded.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
if the website is the only way, scripting it gets a little annoying unless you can provide the username/password directly in the URL of a file and have it be downloaded.
Which is probably unlikely if the webmasters have any concern about the security of their system. I can't imagine that may web applications allow someone to pass a password as plain text anymore (did they ever?).

The problem with scripting this, as Raz0rEdge alluded to, is authentication. Getting the actual files themselves is comparatively easy but is impossible if you can't get past the authentication process. I'm going to guess that the university doesn't make an API available for authenticating to these services since there's no point so you my be out of luck here. Instead, you might want to look into browser extensions that can download all the files on a webpage. For example, something like DownloadThemAll for Firefox might do the trick.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, however the problem is that it is from multiple sources. Probably around 20 lecturers! I may ask IT at my university and see if they can help me.

I see what you mean, the username/password wont be in the URL so it will probably end up being as much work as just doing it manually!

Thanks for your help

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Vansmith,

I tried that first, it was continuously asking for username/password. My keychain held the info but hitting ok a dozen times and it still didn't work.

I think you're right, that is the prob! There seem to many programs for doing this, its the issue with authentication here that is the killer!

Thanks for your help

Which is probably unlikely if the webmasters have any concern about the security of their system. I can't imagine that may web applications allow someone to pass a password as plain text anymore (did they ever?).

The problem with scripting this, as Raz0rEdge alluded to, is authentication. Getting the actual files themselves is comparatively easy but is impossible if you can't get past the authentication process. I'm going to guess that the university doesn't make an API available for authenticating to these services since there's no point so you my be out of luck here. Instead, you might want to look into browser extensions that can download all the files on a webpage. For example, something like DownloadThemAll for Firefox might do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Kinda sounds like a sharepoint site. Does it have a ribbon like interface?

Anyway - if it is sharepoint there is no easy way as far as I can tell to do a batch copy. Seems if you have outlook connected or if you access to windows explorer there might be a way to do a batch copy.
how to download folder (with all documents) from Document library?

Anything you can tell us about what the actual web page / server is - the more we can help.

Edit: Man I'm slow at posting

OP
G
Reaction score
HI Ivan,

Yes! It does. I took a screenshot of an example page. Does this help?

Gerry

Kinda sounds like a sharepoint site. Does it have a ribbon like interface?

Anyway - if it is sharepoint there is no easy way as far as I can tell to do a batch copy. Seems if you have outlook connected or if you access to windows explorer there might be a way to do a batch copy.
how to download folder (with all documents) from Document library?

Anything you can tell us about what the actual web page / server is - the more we can help.

Edit: Man I'm slow at posting

screenshot.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
That does look like sharepoint. The suggestion of Open in Windows Explorer does work - and then you can grab everything and copy it - but that would mean you need to find a Windows machine to do that.

If you are using Internet Explorer and Windows -> Select the Library tab -> you'll see Open with Explorer as one of the choices in that ribbon.

Either use a Virtual Machine, Bootcamp, or bum somebody's computer - because those options are not available on OSX as far as I can tell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.