Facebook Issue on Mac OS! Help?

Reaction score
Hi guys -
i've been having issues with facebook on my mid-2010 model macbook pro. Whenever I type in facebook on ANY web browser (safari, Firefox or Chrome) I get this message pop up on my browser:

Invalid URL
The requested URL "/", is invalid.

Reference #9.54e0fc7d.1346251324.452be76

I have literally tried everything and scowered every forum on the internet for the solution. The only thing that works is typing Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More into my address bar and everything on the website loads up as normal. This has actually become quite frustrating as it won't let me sign up through facebook on any 3rd party sites or share anything to facebook (the share button on every external site says invalid on it). Does any web expert on these forums know what this could be? I've spent hours on this issue and am tapping out...I really don't want to re-install the operating system as this is literally the only problem i'm having with my mac. No other sites have this issue.

Please help, if you can solve this issue you're officially better than 90% of the mac problem solvers out there it would seem! thanks = ) lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There was some transforms on your link - so are you saying you have to type in www twice before facebook dot com? That is www.www - as that is the link in your post.

If that is the case - it sounds like you've got a DNS issue.
-Do any other computers on your network require this?
-What DNS are you pointing to?

Open terminal -> Cmd-space -> Type in terminal
Enter the following at the command line (Hit enter after every line)
Code:
nslookup facebook.com
nslookup www.facebook.com
nslookup www.www.facebook.com

They should be close to these ranges
What Is Facebook's IP Address?

You could also try directly typing in one of those IP addresses in the browser bar and see if that works as well.

OP
R
Reaction score
there are quite a few people experiencing this issue however nobody from apple or facebook has been able to solve it. I'd be surprised if someone could figure this out...they probably could make a lot of money lol

OP
R
Reaction score
hey Ivan here is the info you were requesting. Also to answer your question every computer in the house is working normally and accessing facebook. It's just my macbook in particular which leads me to believe it's not a router problem.

Frank-Riccards-MacBook-Pro:~ Radoja$ nslookup facebook.com
Server: 192.168.0.1
Address: 192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: facebook.com
Address: 66.220.149.88
Address: 69.171.247.21
Address: 69.171.237.16
Address: 69.171.234.21
Address: 66.220.158.70
Address: 66.220.152.16

Frank-Riccards-MacBook-Pro:~ Radoja$
Frank-Riccards-MacBook-Pro:~ Radoja$ nslookup Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Address: 69.171.224.53

Frank-Riccards-MacBook-Pro:~ Radoja$ nslookup Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Name: Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Address: 69.171.237.16

Frank-Riccards-MacBook-Pro:~ Radoja$

OP
R
Reaction score
this issue was driving me so crazy I bought another laptop. case solved. what a stupid problem, facebook really needs to address that. There is currently no fix for it on the internet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.