Mac as iTunes server

T

trivialnobvious

So I recent got a new desktop that has allowed me to replace my apple laptop as a primary machine. What I'd like to do is create an account that only opens iTunes and plays so I can use it as a music server that everyone in the house can access but still keep my own account so when I need a laptop it's there ready for me. I can set up the other account just fine but I'm having a hard time getting the iTunes only account to find all the music I have sitting on the other account. Aside from buring and ripping it all again is there an easy way to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I am assuming that all of the files are physically on the same machine with the new iTunes only account. Just make the new account the root account (login = root, pword = whatever you want). That way the new (root) account will have access to the other accounts stuff without any real problems. Make sure you don't let anyone muck around with the new (root) account though, or you could lose everything.

There is probably an easier way to share the folder with the music in it between the accounts, but I have no idea what it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.