First TM backup to TC erroring out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. I'm brand new to Mac computers and mac peripherals. I'm using my Time Capsule as a router and a backup drive. Or at least trying to. I have the router part set up fine. It works. Now in Time Machine it continuously says "preparing backup" until it errors out. I can't remember the error right now but it wont connect. It has something to do with my auto-created folder on the TC. I'm waiting for it to time out again so I can tell you the error. I don't know how long it'll take to error out but it seems to be taking forever. I was away from the computer for a while when it errored out.

The icon in the menu bar for TM showed an exclamation point in it though.

I do have the TC set up as the backup drive. There are 2TB out of 2TB left on the drive, I haven't had any successful backups yet. Today is my first day with my new MBP and TC.

I can't find any info on the internet that I think is relavent.. So that's why I'm asking here. :) I hope you guru's can help me.

EDIT::: The backup disk image “/Volumes/Time Capsule/Brittany’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle” could not be created (error 17).

But when I looked on the TC drive on dads computer (windows 7) it was there. Now when I look at it from my mac it's not there. There is nothing on the drive at all. I'm so confused! Help, please!

EDIT2: Found the problem. I had to remove an apostraphy that was in the name of my Time Capsule backup. It was listed as Brittany's Macbook Pro or something like that so I had to remove the apostraphy, which I just renamed my computer Macbook Pro instead of Brittany's Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
TM back up problem

You're new but you are already helping people. I've recently swapped from Windows to Mac and have just bought a TC. I had the same problem as you and have de-apostrophised my computer name in the hope that this'll work.

Will let you know...

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
:) I'm hopeful changing your computers name will fix the problem. I hope I helped. I had googled the issue and found the answer I think on the apple.com forum.

Hope it helps! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.