Upgrade Advice

Reaction score
hey guys -
i'm getting tired of waiting for applications to load up on my current macbook these days and looking to upgrade to a faster model (maybe). Here is my current macbook specs (it's a mid 2010 model)

2.4 Ghz
15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display (1440 x 900 pixel)
4GB SDRAM
320GB Hard Drive Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
High Power Graphics Card! NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory

now should I upgrade to a 2011/12 macbook pro or simple replace my current HD with an SSD which i've heard would dramatically improve my laptop's speed. Curious to know others thoughts and would appreciate your advice thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
upgrade to ssd and ram to 8gb would be the best for your mbp.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
upgrade to ssd and ram to 8gb would be the best for your mbp.

SSD perhaps, but RAM is not going to speed up loading anything.

@OP, what version of OS X are you running? Have you run any application like OnyX to clean out your system? Have you repaired permissions lately? Let's try some routine maintenance first..

SSDs do improve load times but you need to first confrim that your problem is the HD..

OP
R
Reaction score
Hey ash I run a cleaner everyday and repair permissions with disk utility on a weekly basis on my macbook, it speeds it up a bit, but nothing to the level i'd like to see my system running at.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but nothing to the level i'd like to see my system running at.

This is like a dog chasing its tail...our computers will NEVER be as fast as we would like them to be!;)

But with the maintenance activities you're already performing regularly, upgrading the ram, and installing an SSD...your computer will certainly be running as fast as it ever will!:)

- Nick

p.s. By the way...with a 15" display...you have a MacBook Pro...not a "MacBook" as stated in the original post.:)

OP
R
Reaction score
haha agreed : )
After seeing how fast these macbook pros run on an SSD it's pretty unbelievable...I wasn't sure if upgrading to a quad processor as opposed to keeping my current dual one would make a huge difference. I don't game with my laptop, just watch movies and use MS Office a lot. I have a lot of stuff installed though, I stil have to wait half a minute for Word to open up. very frustrating when i'm running multiple apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hey ash I run a cleaner everyday and repair permissions with disk utility on a weekly basis on my macbook, it speeds it up a bit, but nothing to the level i'd like to see my system running at.
It is a known fact that the ssd will get a boast to your mbp, with newer technology things will improve, without second guess upgrade to your drive and since you will be removing the lower lid of your mbp might as well get the ram update done. Make sure you get the right ram and the ssd is sata 3 in case you are not happy with the improvement, at least you can use the ssd for the newer macbook pro. Instead of buying a new mbp, the model you have still consider new. This is just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

What "cleaner" are you talking about? That level of maintenance is wholly unnecessary and actually may be part of your problem. If you are wiping out your cache files every day, then no wonder you are having issues! It takes time to rebuild those constantly.

An SSD would be a great boost, but before you look into that, you say you have a 320 GB drive @ 5400 RPM? How much FREE space do you have? A bigger HDD @ 7200 RPM may be a better solution for the money.

Depending on what apps you regularly run on your Mac, and what version of OS X you are running, upgrading the RAM beyond 4 GB may be of negligible benefit, or it may be tremendous.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+ 1 on the above advice

320GB isn't much space (depending on how you use it). Letting your disk free space drop below 15% (50GB in your case) will begin to significantly impact your performance.

OP
R
Reaction score
After seeing how fast these macbook pros run on an SSD it's pretty unbelievable...I wasn't sure if upgrading to a quad processor as opposed to keeping my current dual one would make a huge difference. I don't game with my laptop, just watch movies and use MS Office a lot. I have a lot of stuff installed though, I stil have to wait half a minute for Word to open up. very frustrating when i'm running multiple apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

If it is taking half a minute just for Word to open up, then you have serious issues unrelated to the speed of your CPU and graphics card. You really need to elaborate more on what "a lot of stuff" is as well as the other points I brought up. I'm skeptical you need more RAM, though whatever that other "stuff" is may be eating up too much of what you have, especially AV and "cleaning" software. See my signature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 20" iMac 2.4 GHz, Core 2 Duo iPod Touch, iPhone 5, iPad Mini (Black), & iPad/4th Gen (Black)
This is like a dog chasing its tail...our computers will NEVER be as fast as we would like them to be!;)

But with the maintenance activities you're already performing regularly, upgrading the ram, and installing an SSD...your computer will certainly be running as fast as it ever will!:)

- Nick

p.s. By the way...with a 15" display...you have a MacBook Pro...not a "MacBook" as stated in the original post.:)

Folks sure are picky with everything here. We understood what the original poster intended to say. That is one thing that gets me upset with some Mac people. Cut the guy a break Nick. ;-).

Paul:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.