Considering upgrading early 2008 black macbook HDD for solid state drive

Reaction score
I would like to know if I can run a solid state drive and am looking for good suggestions on drives any where from 250-500GB. I will also be looking into increasing memory for the machine as well. Model A1181 2.4 ghz (right now). Any other suggestions as to hardware upgrades are welcome. Don't really want to buy a new computer when these ones still do it all just fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to know if I can run a solid state drive and am looking for good suggestions on drives any where from 250-500GB.

Sure you can…no problem. Check out drives & prices at:

OWC

I will also be looking into increasing memory for the machine as well.

Sounds good. Check out:

- OWC
- Crucial

Model A1181 2.4 ghz (right now).

The processor speed in your MacBook will always be 2.4ghz…it is not upgradeable.

Any other suggestions as to hardware upgrades are welcome. Don't really want to buy a new computer when these ones still do it all just fine.

Storage (bigger hard drive or an SSD install)…and ram…are just about the only upgrades you can do.

There is also something called a "Data Doubler" (available from the same OWC link above)…which is a special bracket that allows you to install a 2nd HD or SSD in the optical drive bay (must remove the optical drive of course). You have to check on compatibility for your MacBook.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Should I choose a nicer SSD with 6gb/s transfer would it be compatible with one of the newer macbook pro's that are running a HDD should the processor fail at some point?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.