iMac Loses Internet Connection

Reaction score
My internet connection is through Ethernet and I lose my connection whenever I'm not on my computer for several hours (like overnight). My internet conenction from other computers, iPhone, ipad all work and the only way I can get back online is to re-boot my MAC. I'm running OSX 10.8 on a 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 with 12 GB memory.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you updated Mountain Lion to 10.8.1 yet? Also, you might check with your internet provider (ISP) and see if they have a time out set on your connection for periods of inactivity. Certain ISPs will automatically cut the feed based on periods of inactivity. Not all do, but some do. Generally with an ethernet connection you should have a connection 24/7 unless there's a hardware problem. If you have your ethernet connection setup thru a modem or modem - router combo, check that too to see if a time out is set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.