Power Adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
I just thought about this today and was curious. Do the power adapters that came with the mid 2012 macbook pros, im sure this applies to older power adapters as well, come with some kind of fail safe as far as shorts? Say if water spilled on it while both ends of the adapter werent plugged in so there was no power and you plugged the adapter into your 110V source and the mag safe end into your laptop what would happen? Would anything happen to your laptop? Would something blow or trip in the adapter? Or say water spilled onto the adapter while both or one of the ends was plugged in? Would the laptop be fine no matter which of the 3 cases? Does the adapter sort of self-destruct to save your laptop? lol. Would all you would have to do is buy a new adapter?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're asking a lot of "what if" questions. Keep in mind: Electronic devices and water do not mix and the most dangerous electric current you can come in contact with is ordinary house current.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're asking a lot of "what if" questions. Keep in mind: Electronic devices and water do not mix and the most dangerous electric current you can come in contact with is ordinary house current.

Yeah I know lol. But is there a fail safe in the power adapter itself to stop current and voltage from flowing into the laptop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No fail safe that I know of. We've seen reports of the DC input board on a MacBook or MacBook Pro model getting fried when that happens. It can do major damage costing lots of $$$.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No fail safe that I know of. We've seen reports of the DC input board on a MacBook or MacBook Pro model getting fried when that happens. It can do major damage costing lots of $$$.

Ok is this an instant thing like right when you plug it in or is it one of those things that takes weeks? I started learning about circuits today in school a lot more in depth so I am interested in this now lol.

Reaction score
Modern electronics all have failsafes for the purpose of not producing a fire, not to sense liquids on the circuit.

I eat and drink by mine and have boo-booed b4r, 1 out of 4 times was fatal but fortunately that was an old laptop and it just accelerated the upgrade. Not buying extended warranty but am thinking for accidental insurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.