Overclocking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Okay so I went to another iNET website and found something like the OCForums or something where they talk about "overclocking" PC's. Now I asked my gaming buddy and he told me they make the processor outperform the original specs of the processor, sometimes by alot. I was wondering if it is possible to do this process on a Macintosh and if so, how can I do it?

Thanks,
Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
can be done on the mini's easily but on other mac's......why bother OCing normally requires massive fans and other cooling methods

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

also keep in mind the more you overclock the more power and hotter the chip runs, and its is possible to fry your chip. keep in mind also when you overclock the chip life goes down a lot unless you can combat the heat and keep it at its current before clock heat level.

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
how would i cool it off? it's in a cool room and it's open. would i like put fans under it? i don't know. i just wnted to see if it could be done.

how can i do it and how much faster can it go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Overclocking chips is possible, though not recommended. There are plenty of sites on the web that will instruct on how to do this, so I would suggest Googling for them. Each site will state different possiblities on speed increases.

Keep in mind, that as previously stated, overclocking significantly decreases the life of your processor. The increased heat is going to damage the chip, even if you manage to up the cooling with more fans, etc. The damage will be gradual, and you may not notice it at first, but it will damage the chip over time.

You also run the chance of damaging the logic board if you are unfamiliar with overclocking, even with a detailed set of instructions.

The biggest risk however, is that you void any and all warranty, APP included, if you alter the chip by overclocking. Even if something were to go wrong, and you attempt to underclock the chip back to factory spec, it will be detectable that it was overclocked.

Some PC chips are underclocked at the factory, or at least have more "room to grow" as it were, so overclocking is not as much of a risk with them (AMD in particular), but the risk is there nonetheless.

So, in my opinion, it would be in your best interests to just forget about overclocking your Mac. It really isn't worth the minor speed increase you may acheive from doing so.

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

I wouldnt over clock a mac. you have to build your own PC from the ground up and anticipate the cooling needs with a bigger heat sink or water cooled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
DCraver said:
how would i cool it off? it's in a cool room and it's open. would i like put fans under it? i don't know. i just wnted to see if it could be done.

how can i do it and how much faster can it go?
there are several articles at www.xlr8yourmac.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.