Compatibility of OS x and Windows on Time Machine

Reaction score
I am planning to use bootcamp to partition my hard drive and will be backing up my mac's hd prior to doing so. I have an external hard drive (Nexstar 250gb), which is formatted in NTFS format. This external hd has windows pictures, info, and docs on it as well as videos, and so I want to know if I chose this place to use time machine whether or not it will corrupt/ delete the windows stuff. There is approx 100gb of data on it currently. Thanks :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't do it. Time Machine will format the drive to the Mac OS Journaled standard which will wipe out all data previously on the drive. For Time Machine we highly recommend a separate external drive at least the same size or preferably larger than your internal drive to be backed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.