How to upgrade to Lion

Reaction score
I am using 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro and after checking some of my apps it seems that Mountain Lion isn't working too well with some of them as of yet, so, is there a way to go from 10.6.8 to Lion 10.7 (10.7.2 or more?). I looked on the Apple apps store and they seem to only be selling Mountain Lion.
Jonathan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am using 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro and after checking some of my apps it seems that Mountain Lion isn't working too well with some of them as of yet, so, is there a way to go from 10.6.8 to Lion 10.7 (10.7.2 or more?). I looked on the Apple apps store and they seem to only be selling Mountain Lion.
Jonathan

If you figure out a solution...please let the rest of us know!;)

I think that the only way to get Lion is to call Apple directly (on the phone)...and see what options they have available for getting Lion. If they have solutions...please post them so everyone else can be made aware of them as well.

By the way...(not sure if you upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8 directly)...but if you already purchased 10.7 Lion once already...you can go to your Mac App Store account...and re-download Lion for free (previous purchases).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
If you figure out a solution...please let the rest of us know!;)

I think that the only way to get Lion is to call Apple directly (on the phone)...and see what options they have available for getting Lion. If they have solutions...please post them so everyone else can be made aware of them as well.

By the way...(not sure if you upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8 directly)...but if you already purchased 10.7 Lion once already...you can go to your Mac App Store account...and re-download Lion for free (previous purchases).

HTH,

- Nick
Thanks, but I am not using 10.8; as I mentioned, I am on 10.6.8 and would like to upgrade to 10.7 whatever it's at now, because Mountain Lion isn't compatible with some of my apps. If it's as hard to do as you implied, maybe I'll just stick with 10.6.8 until things catch up with ML.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If some of your apps won't work in Mountain Lion, there's a chance they will not also work in Lion. Have you checked to make sure that they're compatible with Lion? Keep in mind that Rosetta is no longer available in Lion or Mountain Lion which means any app that uses PPC coding is not going to run.

OP
J
Reaction score
If some of your apps won't work in Mountain Lion, there's a chance they will not also work in Lion. Have you checked to make sure that they're compatible with Lion? Keep in mind that Rosetta is no longer available in Lion or Mountain Lion which means any app that uses PPC coding is not going to run.

I did check with roaring apps and found that most if not all will work with Lion, but some won't work with ML.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, but I am not using 10.8; as I mentioned, I am on 10.6.8 and would like to upgrade to 10.7 whatever it's at now,

Sorry…I must have been thinking of something else!;)

...because Mountain Lion isn't compatible with some of my apps. If it's as hard to do as you implied, maybe I'll just stick with 10.6.8 until things catch up with ML.

If you have apps. now that aren't compatible with 10.8…that's most likely not going to change. For your apps to be compatible with 10.8 you will probably be required to purchase an upgrade of some sort.

If the same apps. that aren't compatible with 10.8 are compatible with 10.7…then upgrade to 10.7.:)

But again…since Lion is no longer available via the Mac App Store…calling Apple on the phone (800#) is probably the best way to go.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.