Just got my first mac. Disable touchpad?

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Wow lots of things to learn! I did just enable drag lock and that is what I was hoping to find, a way to do that with the trackpad. Previously I had to click the trackpad and drag with my finger but now I can double tap the icon and move it. Thanks!

So far I've not had one negative experience with my Mac. The setting up of the printer on the time capsule was quite frustrating. It wasn't the time capsules fault though it was Windows and the printer software. I was up all night working on that, though I didn't spend all my time on it but about every hour I went back and fiddled with the software installer (which sucks!) but I finally got it working.

Now if I can figure out how to download my purchased music from itunes. I had bought an album a few months ago and I can't find the setting to download it. I did add this computer to the authorized computers.

Is there a way to automatically send Word documents to iCloud? I see that one of the optinos is for iWork but I was under the impression that icloud would replace something like Google Drive or Dropbox. But I can't find out how to set that up. I guess it's not that important to me though because I think time machine backs up every day. Or does it backup more frequently? I see it's currently backing up some files and it already backed up early this morning once I got it set up properly.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only problem I've noticed I have with the trackpad is when my right hand (which I use on the trackpad) is too far to the left on the trackpad, my palm partially rests on teh pad and it prevents movement of the mouse. Or it's quite choppy.. But I soon realized it was from my palm resting on it partially. So I have to get used to that. I think I'm getting better at positioning my hand. But that's not OS X's fault it's mine! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yes, the trackpad is quite sensitive, so be careful where your fingers are resting, as well as your palm.

It is not yet possible to send Word documents (or any Office document) to Apple's part of the cloud, as it is proprietary thus far. Not sure if it ever will allow such a thing. However, as you've noted, there's Dropbox as well as many other third party apps which will achieve that for you.

From what I've read, MS will be releasing an version of Office that will be compatible with iOS, so until we see some real proof of that, you'll have to do otherwise. OR you could purchase Apple's version of the MS Office suite which would be $60 for all three apps.

Getting previously purchased music, videos, apps etc from either iTunes or the App Store is extremely easy. For the former stuff, go to iTunes and sign in to the store. Then go to the "purchased link on the right side, as seen in my screenshot. Boom, done.

Doug

Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 10.23.35 PM.png

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the trackpad is quite sensitive, so be careful where your fingers are resting, as well as your palm.

It is not yet possible to send Word documents (or any Office document) to Apple's part of the cloud, as it is proprietary thus far. Not sure if it ever will allow such a thing. However, as you've noted, there's Dropbox as well as many other third party apps which will achieve that for you.

From what I've read, MS will be releasing an version of Office that will be compatible with iOS, so until we see some real proof of that, you'll have to do otherwise. OR you could purchase Apple's version of the MS Office suite which would be $60 for all three apps.

Getting previously purchased music, videos, apps etc from either iTunes or the App Store is extremely easy. For the former stuff, go to iTunes and sign in to the store. Then go to the "purchased link on the right side, as seen in my screenshot. Boom, done.

Doug
Well I need MS Office for college, othwerise I would buy Pages and Numbers. I know it's supposed to be pretty compabible but I don't want to mess up my grades from a formatting issue. So I'll buy Office. I can get it cheap on amazon, for $89.99.

I'm using google drive for my college files and doing regular TC backups. So I should be fine with backups.

Thanks for helping me out with everything, I did finally find how to download my previously purchased music from itunes. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.