Using a Wireless Printer with my MacBook

Reaction score
I have a MacBook using OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and am going to purchase a printer. Am I right in thinking I need a wireless one?
Also are there any particular make of printers that are more compatible with Macs.

I used to use a HP connected to an airport and could never get it to work by plugging it in via the USB cable directly to the printer. We no longer have the airport (replaced with normal router)

Any suggestions?

J.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buying a wireless printer is strictly up to you as both wireless and wired will work with Snow Leopard. Having said that, the vast majority of printers sold nowadays have wireless built in.

I own Canon, Epson, and HP printers all of which are compatible with the latest version of OS X. When you buy a printer make sure that it states that it will work with OS X. Printers to avoid in my opinion are Dell, Kodak, and Lexmark.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'll add another printer to the list that @chscag posted and that is Brother. I had one and it worked great with my Mac mini and iMac running Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. I have a Canon now and works great with Lion and Mountain Lion..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you have an iOS device (touch, phone, ipad) then consider looking at getting a wireless printer that supports Air Print as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.