Using MyBook Live & Time Capsule together: good idea?

Reaction score
I am running OS X 10.7.4 Lion, with Time Machine backing up to a Time Capsule (incidentally also running VMWare Fusion 5 and a Windows Vista virtual machine).

I am getting a Chromebook for the kids, and considering attaching a MyBook Live to the Time Capsule to serve as a home NAS (NOT as an alternative target for Time Machine backups).

I would be grateful for any feedback on whether this is doable and a good idea. Are there any caveats, or reasons NOT to do this? Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have a drive hooked up to my AirPort Extreme for use with Time Machine. I have a WD MyBook Live hooked up via Ethernet (yay GB Ethernet) for use as NAS and they play together great. No reason the TC wont work the same way.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have a drive hooked up to my AirPort Extreme for use with Time Machine. I have a WD MyBook Live hooked up via Ethernet (yay GB Ethernet) for use as NAS and they play together great. No reason the TC wont work the same way.

Thank you very much...I saw some concerns with Apple versus Windows formatting (particularly with the Seagate GoFlex).

Would using a gigabyte switch between the Time Capsule and the NAS be further insurance for playing nice, or is that unnecessary?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you will use the web interface to set up the NAS, not a computer itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.