Need help creating media server!!

Reaction score
i am trying to set up a media server in my home, if anyone here could help me i would greatly appreciate it.

so heres how i normally do it, i have all my media on my mb pro which i stream to my ps3 via ps3 media server. this works perfectly but the mb pro has to be always on and running ps3media server. What i am trying to do is eliminate the mb pro from the equation.

I recently purchased the wd n900 my net central hd with 2 TB hdd. what i want to do is put all my media on the WD N900 and stream directly from the WD while keeping my mb pro off.

I played around with it a bit last night and got some test files to show up on the WD router but i still had to keep my Macbook open and running ps3 media server.

Does anyone know how i would go about setting this up. Maybe the WD router wont work for what i want to do? if anyone has other suggestions of a different product that will accomplish this i can still return the router.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's the DLNA function of the N900 you need.

The PS3 is DLNA 'aware'.

So you need to dig out the router manual. Depending on the way it's been implemented you either have to move your media into specifically named folders that are then 'advertised' across your network or some more flexible systems allow you to point the DLNA settings at existing folders and set the media type (music, video etc). Once configured these are advertised on the network in the same way

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.