WiFi issues with my Mac. Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to the iMac and new to this forum. Trust me, I am a rookie when it comes to computers, wifi, etc. My problem seems fairly simple, but i cannot figure it out. Here's the deal.......I recently purchased a new iMac desktop. It has been connected to my wifi network through my Linksys Router (model number is WRT160N V2.......about 3 years old). My other devices (a crappy Dell laptop and both of my iPhones) have no connectivity issues. But this iMac runs SO slow. Keep in mind, I have barely any memory used. When I called the 800 number (before warranty expired), they thought the issue might be because my router was 2 floors below my iMac. So I had Comcast come in and move it up a floor (now the router is in my living room and my iMac is in the loft with an open look at it from above). Much to my dismay, this helped slightly. Now when I get online it still runs very slowly. All the wifi bars are always lit, so I think it is getting a strong signal. On my iPhone, using it right next to my iMac, a song on iTunes takes about 30 seconds to download, whereas on the iMac, it is sometimes 7 or 8 MINUTES!!! Could it be the Linksys Router is not very good when used with an iMac? Am I missing something? I could use ANY bit of advice, as I am so irritated that I paid this much for a desktop that I can't use the internet with!!! I have actually started to use my 5+ year old Dell laptop because it is light-years faster. PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well first off, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the router.
Linksys WRT160N

In your wi-fi settings on the router, make sure your security is set to use WPA2 Personal. This is not only much more secure than WEP, but also ensures full compliance with 802.11n speeds.

Also... have you done anything like turn on the firewall on your Mac, or installed any "security" software? Take note of my signature.

Reaction score
iMac will not hold a wifi connection

None of these suggested solutions have anything to do with the problem. I have a G5, a HP Pavilion, Apple TV, iPhone... all on the same system, and absolutely no problem... ever. The G5 sits about a half-a-foot from my brand-new 27" iMac... and there has never been a problem. The iMac blinks off many times in an hour, sometimes every 20 seconds...
Of course Apple denies this is happening, which makes me fear that it is hardware... if the problem were in software, they'd have fixed it long ago.

I wondered how long after Steve Jobs death we'd start seeing stuff like this, the iMaps debacle being an excellent example. It just kills me that I "spent big" on this turkey, and I can't get my money back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I realize that a 27" iMac which easily weighs over 35 lbs is not something you can haul on in to your local Apple store for diagnosis, but what have you done with Apple to resolve the problem?

Also, how does the iMac behave when you connect it via ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
None of these suggested solutions have anything to do with the problem. I have a G5, a HP Pavilion, Apple TV, iPhone... all on the same system, and absolutely no problem... ever. The G5 sits about a half-a-foot from my brand-new 27" iMac... and there has never been a problem. The iMac blinks off many times in an hour, sometimes every 20 seconds... what a piece of ****, and an expensive piece of **** at that.

Of course Apple denies this is happening, which makes me fear that it is hardware... if the problem were in software, they'd have fixed it long ago.

I wondered how long after Steve Jobs death we'd start seeing stuff like this, the iMaps debacle being an excellent example. It just kills me that I "spent big" on this turkey, and I can't get my money back.

How could Apple possibly deny this is happening? Have they looked at it? If so, is it not having this problem in their store? If not, that would be a starting clue here. Also... if this is a brand new iMac, just when did you buy it? When did this start happening? If it has "always" done this, then why have you tolerated this past the point of being able to return/exchange it? It's possible you got a lemon... it happens. No need to rage on like your experience is the gold standard for what everyone else is experiencing.

EDIT: BTW, you say the solutions previously suggested have nothing to do with your problem. Have you actually TRIED them, or just making assumptions? And exactly what router do you have?

Reaction score
Hello to lifeisabeach,
I must say, I'm not sure where this suggestion is coming from... are you an Apple/iMac tech? Then help me out here... why does my trusty G5 work with my WiFi and my 27" does not? No, I'm not gonna buy a new router, and what authorizes you to ask me why I went past the point of no-return?

Are you qualified to deal with this question? It's none of your business, but yes, I have dealt with Apple on this... that is the source of my disgust with this situation.... And no, I have not connected via Ethernet, why do you ask? Was that my question? I live with a woman that does not care to have 60 feet of cable running from room to room... any more questions? Sexual preference? Eating disorders? What kind of forum is this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@MrStrat:

Your reply is not only insulting but quite to the contrary of what member lifeisabeach was trying to get across to you. Sorry you feel the way you do. We "were" trying to help you in case you didn't notice. Since there is no point taking this any further.....

Thread closed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Excuse me, He has every right to ask you questions. How do you feel we can help you if we dont' ask questions and find out exactly what is going on? That was totally uncalled for.

BTW, I have a Linksys WRT-160n V2 here as a back up. It's not very stable at all using WiFi. I have linux, Macs and PC's here and have had dropping issues with it especially if I use it a few days. I have read many bad reviews also about the 160 about it being very unstable.

Why does it work on your other devices and not the new Mac? Did you take it to Apple? Call Apple? It COULD BE a defective WiFi Card in the iMac. You know no one is perfect! NO ONE. NO brand of anything is perfect. You might have gotten a DUD. Apple needs to get involved in this if the machine is BRAND NEW.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OOps!!! :D Grin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.