Recovering data files after hard disk crash

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a MacPro running a vmware with windows7 on it.
I use both environments. Recently my hard disk crashed, and had to replace it. I don't have an external back up, so I am trying to recover my files by connecting the hard disk externally.
I have been able to recover all the Mac files, but no luck with the VMware Windows files. I can locate the vmware, but not able to run it, error message: This is a read only file.
I would like to think that the vmware Windows application is separate to the data. is that right? if I cannot get the vmware to run, can I still recover my vmware data? Where would I be able to find these files??
Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your hard drive crashed? I'm surprised you got anything off of it. The virtual machine files are, by default, located in:
Macintosh HD » Users » yourusername » Documents » Virtual Machines

More on this here:
VMware KB: Locating the virtual machine bundle in VMware Fusion

Bear in mind that the files may not be recoverable. If the sector of the drive that the VM resided on is what went bellyup, then they may be corrupt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why not simply put the failed drive in Bay 2 and the new drive in Bay 1 and see what you can salvage. Of course you do mean a Mac Pro and not a macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not simply put the failed drive in Bay 2 and the new drive in Bay 1 and see what you can salvage. Of course you do mean a Mac Pro and not a macbook?

What difference does it make if the failed drive is in an internal bay or an external enclosure if he's just recovering files off of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Much easier, and faster, accessing files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much easier, and faster, accessing files.

But he already has it in an external enclosure, and successfully recovered some files. He just doesn't (well didn't) know where to find the vm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.