The volume Macintosh HD was found courrupt

Reaction score
I recently purchased OS X Mountain Lion on the app store. However, when I try to install it, I forgot exactly what it said, but it said something similar to Macintosh HD is damaged and cannot be repaired.
I went on disk utilities and selected to verify disk and I got the message "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired." The problem is that the repair disk button is disabled.
Is there any way I can fix this issue? I attached a picture of what exactly the disk utility looked like.

2012-08-27 23.33.32.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not repair the disk while it's mounted. Boot your Mac with the install and recovery DVD that came with it and run Disk Utility from the DVD. You may be able to repair it that way. However, you may be better off just buying a new hard drive. But go ahead and try to repair the drive because if you do decide to get a new hard drive you will need to backup the data off that one to migrate to the new drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, it seems that I'm going to need to replace the hard drive. If you don't mind answering, where would I be able to purchase a new one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I just had the same thing happen. It eas easily fixed. Boot with DVD that came with computer. Not sure of the exact procedure because I have lion so it's different. Someone here will know how.
Don't buy a new hard drive until you try the repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.