iMac sharing iPhone4 USB internet via Wifi or Ethernet

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here so please go easy on me!

After recently making the switch from a Windows HTPC I have purchased an iMac and a few other toys!

Currently the only internet in the house is my iPhone 4 Unlimited Tariff (3UK) which I tether to my iMac using USB and get great speeds and have no problems

The issue is when I am tethered to my iPhone and using the internet my ATV and Time Capsule are not connecting to my iMac and I have to detatch my iPhone to get access to my movies etc which are stored on my TC!

Also neither my ATV2 or my TC have internet connection as I dont seem able to share my internet despite turning internet sharing on!

I have also tried to share a friends WIFI internet and the mac is fine, as soon as I hook the TC up with an ethernet cable I lose the internet totally and have to reset my TC!

Its confusing the **** out of me so any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can only share your connection if you create a wireless network on your mac and connect the ATV and Tc to that network.

The alternative is to connect your iPhone to mains power and turn on the wifi hotspot, then you can wirelessly connect the ATV, TC and iMac wirelessly to the phone - using the iPhone as the router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The alternative is to connect your iPhone to mains power and turn on the wifi hotspot, then you can wirelessly connect the ATV, TC and iMac wirelessly to the phone - using the iPhone as the router

This. And I put it to the test a couple weeks ago by allowing some friends to tether to my phone with their iPads.

Keep in mind, and it may be different on your side of the pond, but I can only have 5 devices connected at a time to the wifi hotspot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.