OS snow leapord

Reaction score
Please pardon my ignorance, I am very new to a Mac, have always been a PC user.
So,
I got hold of this mac book pro... its version, i think, is 10.6.8
well,
Some how, i cant find the preferences icon any more and i dont seem to know how to pull it up.
i tried all the possible ways to locate it, but my understanding is, it has been deleted by my "son".
now, the usb stick i got along with the machine is damaged and i do not have any discs.

i was hoping to find a site where i can download the original OS snow leapord because i am the owner of the original licence, i guessing i am allowed to use it again.

is there a website available where i can download the restore content (disc or USB)

a torrent website or a link, maybe, ...?

ideally, i am now looking to completely erase and reinstall OS on the machine, and i need help.

Advanced thanks
Chris

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So,
I got hold of this mac book pro... its version, i think, is 10.6.8

"10.6.8" is the OS version…not the model version of the MacBook Pro.

Some how, i cant find the preferences icon any more and i dont seem to know how to pull it up.

You're not really looking for the "preferences icon"…you're more looking for how to access the "System Preferences". To do this…go to the Apple drop down menu (upper left corner of the desktop area)…and select "System Preferences".

i tried all the possible ways to locate it, but my understanding is, it has been deleted by my "son".

Hopefully not.

i was hoping to find a site where i can download the original OS snow leapord because i am the owner of the original licence, i guessing i am allowed to use it again.

is there a website available where i can download the restore content (disc or USB)

Nope…no where to download OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" legally. Your best bet is to call Apple directly…and see if you can purchase an install disk from them.

a torrent website or a link, maybe, …?

I won't even answer this…since it is considered illegal activity…and we don't condone that activity here!

Good Luck,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Many thanks for the prompt response,
but let me also add, that i live in a remote village and there is not apple store available with in atleast a 1000 kms radius.
otherwise i could have contacted them.
all i have is a internet connection and i want to make proper use of it.
and also, i have paid for that OS, and i also have the reciepts, so, how will it be considered as piracy??

eitherway
many thanks mate.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
but let me also add, that i live in a remote village and there is not apple store available with in atleast a 1000 kms radius.
otherwise i could have contacted them.
all i have is a internet connection and i want to make proper use of it.
and also, i have paid for that OS, and i also have the reciepts, so, how will it be considered as piracy??

It doesn't matter if you live on the Moon!;) There never has been a LEGAL downloadable version of OS 10.6 Snow Leopard…any legal version of OS 10.6 has ALWAYS & ONLY been sold on a physical disk. ANY downloadable version of Snow Leopard you see on the internet is ILLEGAL!!!

If you cannot contact Apple via phone…it may always be possible to purchase an OS 10.6 install disk via e-Bay (disk with the picture of a Snow Leopard on it)…but it will be more expensive

Currently…the ONLY legally downloadable version of the Mac OS is OS 10.8.1. But you must have access to the "Mac App Store" to download OS 10.8 (which can be done with OS 10.6.8 that you currently have installed).

But…you must insure that your MacBook Pro can run OS 10.8.1.

- Nick

p.s. Ok…you live in a remote town…but I never said contact an Apple Store…I said call Apple on the phone (one of their corporate locations). Contacting an Apple Store would not do you any good…since the individual Apple Stores no longer sell Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.